Why is it so hard to find an instructor?

scats

Visit site
Sometimes you just don’t click with people. With the type of horse you are describing, you often have to work a bit backwards. You won’t get your stretchy elastic contact until you’ve ridden it up into the bridle a bit. You almost have to do things the wrong way round.

There’s no shame in admitting that you just don’t click with an instructor. I had a lesson once with someone who everyone raves about round here and in all fairness, has a super competition record, so must do something right. But I just felt that they didn’t really ‘get’ the pony and the way they suggested I ride her just infuriated the pony.
Whereas a good friend of mine came to give me a lesson on the same pony and instantly picked up on the issues we were having and transformed the pony in twenty minutes.
Nothing against the first instructormof course, they are very talented and people have lots of success with them, but it just wasn’t for me.

gunnergundog

Visit site
Dan Wain. Spent 3 months last year in Australia studying with Manolo Mendez; will focus on physical weaknesses of your horse and work to strengthen those aspects first and foremost and take you right back to basics with in-hand work if necessary to promote suppleness. This will give you the strong foundation necessary to progress beyond novice level.

If you decide to go with a more traditional dressage trainer, feel free to PM me any names and I will give you my personal opinion for what it's worth. Am no longer in the Warwickshire area but know a few names to avoid having lived there for a couple of decades.

Sprat

Visit site
Why would you? If you don't like the way they want you to ride the horse, you are not going to like the way they ride it themselves.

I should have worded that better instead of sending a quick response, I mean I should get a pro on her to see how she fares with someone more experienced, rather than the instructor in question that I disagreed with.