Why is it so hard to look nice when riding?!

timbobs

Visit site
Just musing on this on a wet Monday morning.

I’m happily riding along thinking I look happy and cheerful and instead in any photos/videos of me riding I either look like I’m having a horrible time or look absolutely terrified!

Does anyone else do this- please say it’s not just me!

SEL

Visit site

I’m happily riding along thinking I look happy and cheerful and instead in any photos/videos of me riding I either look like I’m having a horrible time or look absolutely terrified!

I rarely have photos of me riding because I look either in pain or terrified and people just ask me why I'm not smiling......

Mildlander

Visit site
Hate seeing photos of me when competing as I look like rictus has set in because I'm concentrating so hard to remember the dressage test or trying not fall off when jumping. Sometimes if I remember that I'm being photographed I can remember to smile but usually they aren't much better. The best ones are usually as I bow my head for the final salute then no one can see my face!!

The-Bookworm

Visit site
It's because we are concentrating surely? If the horse has their ears back people assume they are grumpy when they may actually be listening. In my case to any rustle- but that does have it's uses.

Last edited:

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I think that it is because riding is actually hard and takes a lot of concentration and most 'I'm really concentrating on this' expressions don't involve smiling. Some non-horse people may think that the horse does all the work and the rider just has to sit there and look cute, but it's just not the case at all. ;)

ETA - M and the BW beat me to it! :D

Annagain

Visit site
I don't know if it's the chin strap on my hat but in every photo of me riding I have a terrible double, nay triple, chin - even if i'm aware of the camera and lift my head to try to avoid it. This doesn't seem to happen to anyone else!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site

Probably cos it's Tuesday......not Monday?

Cowpony

Visit site
Every picture of me competing seems to show me scowling. I'm not, I'm just concentrating, but I don't seem to be able to smile and concentrate at the same time. Clearly I'm using the wrong muscles to remember which way I'm turning at C :D

abbijay

Visit site
I have the most horrific jumping face (especially my pokey-out, gurning chin) but when I first got my horse and started to compete my instructor used to mutter at me from ringside "smile, god damn smile, keep smiling" everytime I was near here and it's really stuck. This means I've got a healthy set of smiley dressage/showing pictures that I'm happy to print off and stick up. Maybe that's my I don't really jump anymore...

CMcC

Visit site
I am famous for not smiling, although I like to think of myself as a happy person. I have to be instructed by my friends when riding in the presence of a photographer to smile. The spooky thing is even though I am definitely smiling and looking slightly insane when the picture is take. When the picture appears on Facebook or wherever I am looking glum. I have achieved one smiley picture in 2019 so am not going to attempt it again this year.

cindars

Visit site
I don't know if it's the chin strap on my hat but in every photo of me riding I have a terrible double, nay triple, chin - even if i'm aware of the camera and lift my head to try to avoid it. This doesn't seem to happen to anyone else!
Me too even when I was younger and didn't have a double chin which I do now.