Why is it ???

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
So difficult to find a nice horse! I am feeling really low today and a bit sorry for myself! I lost my mare very suddenly in July and have been looking for a new horse to love ever since.

Thought I had found him last week only for him to fail his vetting
crazy.gif
It's a long story but I was supposed to be bringing him from the vetting straight to my stables but was basically left stood at the vets with no horse
crazy.gif
To say I was gutted is an understatement. So now I have been trailing through the local papers etc again and there is nothing that even remotely appeals to me or my budget which is unfortunately a little poor.

I have so much love to give another horse and I was so sure he was the one. Sorry for the ramble and rant but I am sure the horse for me must be out there.....I just can't seem to find it. I am trying to be patient but......

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
I'll try....it is awful looking though as they all sound lovely but then when you get there they have somthing blatantly wrong with them. The owners are a nightmare, trying to read between the lines and not fall into any traps.

I so nearly bought that horse without a vetting and what a nightmare that would have been
crazy.gif
It is just such a mine field
frown.gif

Oh well I will try to be patient
smirk.gif
(and try not to fall in love so deeply, so fast next time!)

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
Ideally... but not wanting to limit myself by saying no to anything else:

Hunter type (IDX preferably)
15.2 - 17hh (although one I liked was about 17.2hh
smirk.gif
)
Must hack alone or in company
No vices
Sound!
£2000 or less
frown.gif

corinnematthews

Visit site
On a budget and wanting it vetted? What do you want it to do? If a happy hacker up to novice RC type events, why bother? If you want it to do Badminton, then have it vetted but expect to pay £50K plus........My best pointer (won five races, over 3 seasons - which is gallop over 19 fences (circa 4'9) at speed.....would have failed the vet at 4 years for a RC eventer - but went on to prove (with the right conditioning work) to be fine. He did eventually break down (on the opposite leg..... but was never lame, and still had / has a job as a happy hacker / hunter (according to the Vet who scanned him) I would happily sell him to a lovely home for a reasonable price. to those who knew his history..... would I want him to be vetted - don't be silly, he will fail - but will do the job for those who want a budget horse - who know his capabilities - which comes with a budget price.....Having said that I would never sell my lovely horse - but would consider a loan to the right person / home! But the morale of my story is, if you are on a budget, you have to take the rough with the smooth!

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
I appreciate what you are saying, however I had a sneaking suspicion about this horse or rather his owner and decided to have just a two stage vetting done to put my mind at rest. £2000 may not be a lot but it is to me and I wanted to be sure I wasn't making a mistake with it. At the end of the day a small layout for a vet to check him over for me saved me a huge amount of heart ache and expense.

Obviously you are the sort of owner to tell the truth about your horse but unfortunately this was not, it would seem, be the case with the horse I was interested in.
frown.gif

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
That's the way to do it
cool.gif
I am starting to feel maybe I am not meant to have a horse anymore, I have lost quite a bit of confidence in my own ability to actually pick a good horse
frown.gif

I am sure it will happen though and three onths isn't that long to have looked I suppose. I am glad you have found a new one to love though, I hope you really enjoy her.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
<font color="blue">But the morale of my story is, if you are on a budget, you have to take the rough with the smooth! </font>

That's as maybe, but soundness is a bit more than rough! And yes, I'd want a very basic once over for the stuff I can't do - like check for eyesight problems!

I love my horses and should I ever need to sell one, I'd want the new people to know every detail. If they didn't like any aspect at all, I wouldn't be selling. I always reckon to be buying the people as well, not just their horse.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Not that it will make you feel any better, but it took a year and a badly broken collar bone to find the right one!!!

FWIW I think you are wise to have vettings done as vets bill cost the same whatever the cost of the horse in the 1st place!

0ldmare

Visit site
Oh that is bad luck, poor you! I do hope you find the right one soon

I would have had him vetted too. There are so many things that can go wrong with a horse in the future, but at least you can safeguard yourself a little bit about pre-existing conditions.

It is a miserable business trying to find the right horse though isn't it! Like you I do doubt my ability to pick a good un.

I am off on a 7 hour round trip tomorrow to see a mare and will probably weep if I get there and find she is nothing like the description!

Dizzykizzy

Visit site
Fingers crossed you find something soon.
There are so many horses out there for sale and so many owners who are very economical with the truth........
Will keep my ears open around here as not too far from you.

Flame_

Visit site
OK, sound, un-deformed, nothing special sports horses generally cost £4k+. If they're priced less than that, there is a big reason, and probably not the reason the seller "very honestly" tells you about!

I think you either need to wait and save up more money, change the sort of horse you want to a really common type, or look for something unbroken. Eventually you might stumble on something you are happy with, but I think you're only going to get lame and difficult sports horses at that price, and you'll only be buying problems.
frown.gif

sam1am

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
OK, sound, un-deformed, nothing special sports horses generally cost £4k+. If they're priced less than that, there is a big reason, and probably not the reason the seller "very honestly" tells you about!

where do u buy your horses from, because i really think your getting fleeced!
shocked.gif

there are loads of under 2k safe sound nothing exeptional horses out there its just a matter of lookingand trying quite a few.
Best of luck in your search
x

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
I totally agree about there being horses out there for that price. Infact I refuse to pay more really for what I want to do. I had 5 1/2yrs of fabulous fun out an ISH that cost me £1200 with all her tack and rugs etc. I understand I may not find something as good as her again for that price but I am prepared to look.

It is not that I am tight or even need to save the money just that that is thelimit I have set for buying a new horse and I think for what I am after it should be quite enough.

Vicky_21 thank you for those links. the first one is unfortunately a dealer in our area and has a very bad reputation
crazy.gif
and the others are a little far away as I have to rely on my sister or friend taking me. They are just the 'sort' that I am after though
smile.gif

Thanks for all your positive comments and I appreciate you all keeping your ears open for me...you're great!