Why is she lame? No Signs at all

scrumpygus

Visit site
My mare has suddenly become really lame in her rear nearside hind leg - i cant find a thing there though no heat/swelling/lumps/kicks - nothing - it is a mystery - she has been lame about 4 days though and is practically limping in trot but fairly ok in walk- it appears to me to be coming from higher up the leg than lower - i just dont know what to do about it - i really dont wanna call the vet unless i really have to because of the cost of it. Any thoughts would be gratefully received.. thanks x

kit279

Visit site
Maybe this is what you want to hear, but I would call the vet. A lame horse is lame for a reason, whether you can see it or not. At best, maybe something like an abscess (in which case call the farrier to have a dig), at worst something like a fracture. Best not leave it too long. Also, noone on this forum is going to be able to diagnose the problem correctly without a) being a vet and b) seeing the horse!!

BigRed

Visit site
Same response as Kit, Your horse has been lame for 4 days, if she has an abscess it will only be getting worse. You need to call out your vet.

misst

Visit site
And again ^^^^ I'm afraid. Lame = Pain
frown.gif

checkmate1

Visit site
Ditto above. Call the Vet. I used to know someone whose horse got kicked out in the field, vet called- vet said all fine- small cut couldn't be stiched-all ok. Anyway, horse got lamer and lamer, to the point when it was hopping in walk. We laughed! Thinking she was being silly. Turned out she had a fractured and septic elbow joint. Ok, this is different- vet was called, but if a horse is lame in walk and practically limping in trot and I had no clue why I would be on the phone to the vet ASAP. My horse was lame last week, no heat, etc however she had just been shod and it was food area lameness. Turns out when I got the farrier to look she was bruised. Sorry if thats not what you want to hear.
Have you had another person look at her? Do they think its higher up the leg lameness? Could it be hip/pelvis related?

Llwyncwn

Visit site
** i really dont wanna call the vet unless i really have to because of the cost of it. **

Hmmm, responsibility of owning a horse and putting its welfare first.

fatpiggy

Visit site
Have a vet-charge savings account for a start. Most bills aren't big enough to claim on the insurance, and generally you don't want the insurance to find out anyway.

The horse could have pulled a muscle or twisted itself messing about in the field. Even had a fall. If a horse is visibly lame in walk, then it is VERY lame. Normally lameness only shows up in trot.

lensmith7

Visit site
Please please call the vet. Josie was like this, no heat, no swelling nothing. She had surgery yesterday for a huge tear in her suspensory lig.

Please call the vet x

scrumpygus

Visit site
Hi - thanks for the advice - you guys are absolutely right i have called the vet and he is coming out tomorrow - sometimes they can go lame and suddenly come sound for no reason and then nothing more comes of it - this particluar horse has been a bit of a disaster zone bless her - she has navicluar, she has a had a fracture in her shoulder from being kicked in the field and a hernia - obviously she is no longer insured as nobody will touch her after all these issues (they have been over many years mind u!) But she is my pet and i love her to pieces i just kind of hoped she might have pulled something from over exerting herself in the field but 4 days is really too long for no improvement - i will let u all know the outcome! hopefully nothing serious.

Patches

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Please please call the vet. Josie was like this, no heat, no swelling nothing. She had surgery yesterday for a huge tear in her suspensory lig.

Please call the vet x

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh no!!!!! I am so sorry to hear this. What a blow for you.

the watcher

Visit site
Hope you find the answer - I was presented with similar symptoms recently, the vet tried bute for a week, then nerve blocks which indicate the hock, so just waiting for Xrays now

You will feel much happier once you have actually identified where the problem is