Why is the right decision....................................

Halfpass

Visit site
.........................always the hardest?
Ok so most of you will know that i had a nasty accident 3 years ago and broke my neck. Horse was then retired and has since been PTS. So after retiring him i didn't have much money but wanted another horse. Loan horses came and went then i rescued my current horse 'Orange'. I won't go into detail as have posted the story before but he came from a hunting home lame, so bought him at meat money price in the hope that he would be my type of horse obviously i was aware of the risks. Got him sound eventually and i have come to realise that in most ways he is my type of horse but he is never going to get me doing the things i want to do. He has a big bold scopy jump most of the time and thats just the problem he is unpredicatble not in a nasty way but one minute he'll jump and the next we are eliminated. One minute he schools well and does a fab dressage test the next we are having to leave the arena!!! I know that this is how horses are but most times when i ride him he resorts me to tears through shear frustration. He's given me my confidence back after my fall but he is now slowly taking it away from me again. The final straw was today we had a jumping lesson with me dosed up on pain killers for my bad back he starts off by refusing a 2' cross pole when last week he jumped a 3' + course clear. I spoke to my instructor and he was really honest with me and said that he was bread to be a hunter and thats what he should be doing and that you can tell by the look in his eyes that he does not always enjoy the show jumping. He just confirmed everything that i have been thinking. Don't get me wrong if i was happy to potter about at home and do a little unaff stuff he would be great but my ambition had always been to affiliate him and i know that this will never happen. I need to do something before he destroys my confidence completly. So I have decided to sell him to be a hunter as i know he absolutely enjoys this and at the end of the day i only want to see him happy. I've had him 2 years and turned him from a scrawny under weight lame horse to a fab looking horse that will make someone a fab hunter.
Sorry for the self indulgent post but i just needed to get it off my chest. Most of the people around me don't understand and i know you guys will.
Thanks for reading and well sone if you got this far!!!

marmite

Visit site
What a brave thing to do you are totally doing the right thing if your heart is telling you it then it is the right thing to do.
It will most likely be very hard for you though but at least you can come to us peeps for support x

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
I think you are making a brave decision that will work out best for both of you. Good luck finding your new horse.
smile.gif

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I would sell him and not worry about it at all.
When I read posts like yours I want to shout "Why are you struggling with a horse that refuses?!!!!)
We have calmess issues with ours during dressage tests, but refusals are very very rare. I wouldn't waste all my money and effort on anything that refuses, there are so many good horses out there who won't do this to you.
Sell him and look for something that will make your heart leap with pleasure, I genuinely feel he is not going to ever do what you want..

allijudd

Visit site
its a brave decision...but on the p,lus side you could sell him for a profit then buy a school master which would look after you and keep you safe....let him go do what he enjoys...he will be happier for it..

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
you've got the horse going again, he's fit, healthy and will be happy to do his 'job' when he finds the right home. he's given you confidence, but yours isnt the right home any more as he can't take you where you want to be. I think you are making a very good decision in that this is the right time for him to be going out ready for the hunting season, and you should be happy with the knowledge that you've given this horse another chance in life. Alot of horses arent so lucky.

Visit site
Brave but right decision-having just parted with a horse that was slowly but surely shredding my confidence and me his, I can, in retrospect, appreciate I made the correct decision for both of us and he too has gone to a hunting home and I now have a horse much more in tune with me. Although at first i had to stop and think which horse i was riding when a particular situation arose, i am now regaining all of my confidence and loking forward to the future once again. Remember we are supposed to do this because it is pleasurable......(so my OH keeps telling me anyway!) Good luck in firnding a new horse who makes you look forward to EVERY ride once agian. Your horse will find a good home.

Halfpass

Visit site
ok so now i'm sitting here with tears streaming down my face, not just of sadness of the thought that my beloved boy will be going to another home but of relief that I KNOW that i am doing the right thing. Thanks you guys you always make things seem so much more right if that makes sense. Any advice on selling a horse much appreciated as i have never done it before.
and just incase you are wondering thats him in my sig next to the grey.

serena2005

Visit site
aawww its so sad, it must be heart breaking for you.

you are not being selfish with your horse most people who love their horses will keep them even if they are not happy in what they are doing. you are doing a very brave thing by letting this horse go because you know he will be more happy being a hunter. where would he be without you thats what i say.

lisaward

Visit site
why feel guilty??
if it wasn't for you he wouldn't have any sort of life you gave him one,sell him and then you can both enjoy the rests of your lives.
good luck and please don't feel bad