Why, Mary?! Just why?!

JJS

Visit site
Yorkshire definitely got the worst of the bad weather today, so imagine my delight as I walked down the field, drenched to the skin, with the rain and wind howling in my face, only to see a suspicious white patch on the side of my big coblet. Please don't be a torn rug. Please don't be a torn rug, I'm mentally chanting as she comes trotting up... Only to find the whole side of her brand new turnout ripped off :mad:

She stood looking sheepish as I surveyed the damage to the lovely rug she's had for less than a fortnight, and then had the audacity to look horrified when it was removed - complete with its own layer of ice. The relief on Mary Moo's face was tangible as her replacement was chucked on her back and the big but not-so-tough bog pony let out a huge sigh of satisfaction.

Doing it up in the dark (because there was no way we were risking the ice rink that had previously been the path to the stables) was an especial delight, given that by this point my fingers were no longer even resembling functional!

Honestly, if I wasn't OCD and she didn't have so much white, she'd be staying naked from now on, but one winter spent with her coated in muck was enough to last me a lifetime :rolleyes:

Shay

Visit site
My record for a new turn out is 45 minutes. Is she using field mates to help her or is it a stake or something ?

JJS

Visit site
I usually find if they are routinely destroying them they are too hot and want them off! A bit of mud isn't worth a new rug every few weeks ust because you want a clean pony! Just give her a powerwash in the spring!

She doesn't routinely trash rugs - this is the first one in two years. She's not hot either. I might prefer them clean, but not to the detriment of making my poor ponies overheat, I promise! She's just caught it on the wire, much to my chagrin. The farmer has it along the top of all his fences to stop them leaning on them, which is entirely understandable, just less than ideal when they get a new rug snagged on it!

Last edited:

meleeka

Visit site
What a day for her to pick to trash her rug! I get it that hot horses get uncomfortable and may try and remove their rugs, but yesterday was not a day to be nekked!
Can it be salvaged, do you think?

I’ve sewn a few up for a friend who has barbed wire all round her rented field. It can be done quite easily.

My record for a rug was 12 hours :(

JJS

Visit site
What a day for her to pick to trash her rug! I get it that hot horses get uncomfortable and may try and remove their rugs, but yesterday was not a day to be nekked!
Can it be salvaged, do you think?

I'm hoping so. It's a straight line and a relatively clean tear, just incredibly long!

I’ve sewn a few up for a friend who has barbed wire all round her rented field. It can be done quite easily.

My record for a rug was 12 hours :(

That gives me some hope. Hopefully a needle and thread will be enough to salvage it!

Stormsure glue is about £6 and it pieced my PE back together after Bobbie shredded it.

This sounds like exactly what I need actually. I've just purchased some from eBay so fingers crossed it does the trick. Thanks, LW!

Chippers1

Visit site
I use plaiting thread to sew up my rugs! It's worked pretty well so far, held my current rug together and it doesn't let water in at the sewed seam either. It was ripped at the withers straight down towards his back so i had to make sure the seam wasn't irritating either!