Why oh why do people not know weights of 3.5t boxes for sale?

Fifty Bales of Hay

Visit site
Just a quick rant!

There are lots of adverts with 3.5t little horseboxes for sale. But I am very specific in what I am needing weight wise, to make this a viable purchase and work for what I need it to. I ask the questions - what's it's unladen weight, and what's the payload? Simple questions I would have thought as it's quite important to legally not be overweight.

And always comes back with the answer - sorry I don't know!

So a potentially possible sale might be missed. And for me a potentially possible little horsebox may or may not be suitable for me, but due to this there is no point in me going to see it.

As for suggesting they go get it weighed, I think I might get some strong verbals back, so not even going there lol.

It seems I'm probably going to have to buy "brand new" from a dealership, rather than look at the secondhand market, just because of this reason, and to be accurate in the weight of the said vehicle.

Sorry - rant over!!!!! Thanks for listening. Going back to my corner now!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I started sending lists of their local public weighbridges to people advertising boxes when they didn't know the payload ;)

There are quite a few. I know it's a PITA though, from the buyer's POV, but I made it quite clear that I'd be a serious buyer if they'd make a little bit of effort...

I was lucky as only ever intended to take one horse at a time. Popped it over the weighbridge when I got home with it *just so I know*

Caramac71

Visit site
I had our 3.5T van conversion weighed after we bought it. I knew it would be ok for the pony we had at the time but I wanted to know what else I could carry. I have always been very cautious about what I carry, despite lots of people wanting lists and telling me it's find to take their horse and be overweight :/ And I know plenty of people that have no idea what their payload is and I'm sure are well overweight with 2 horses onboard.

I'm now selling my box and have included the certificate in the photo's. It is so easy to find a weighbridge, it costs a minimal amount of time and money, so I dont think its unreasonable for a potential buyer to ask. But why on earth are people driving themselves and their precious horses in the first place, not knowing whether they are overweight or safe to do so?

hollyandivy123

Visit site
denial.........................they know that it is close to the useful limit of the box especially if they are advertised as suitable for large horse, but then i;m a cynic

maree t

Visit site
I sold a 3.5 a couple of years back . I was very clear that it was a one horse box . I still have the emails that I sent as I felt that they were not taking it seriously . They turned up at a local show a few weeks ago with 2 big horses on board , it worries me that it is just not built to take that weight , I so hope there isnt an accident .

OWLIE185

Visit site
The weight of the chassis Cab will be 1.7 - 2 Tons. (This depends on type and engine size).
The weight of a well built container will be no less that .7 of a Ton and in many cases more.
So the total pay load on a well built one (with a reinforced bulk head) will never be greater than 1.1 Tons and in many cases less.
Overloading will have a dramatic effect on the handling and braking capabilities of the vehicle and is easily spotted from the rear by a police officer as the suspension will be well down so you are well wise to thoroughly check the payload by having it taken to an approved weighbridge!

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
I had this problem when I was buying several years back, when i sold mine on I took it to the weighbridge and paid to have it weighed so I was able to correctly advise on the unladen weight etc. It's amazing though how many people think a 3.5T box will take two large horses and when you say it'll be over weight they often reply 'no it wont it's stalled for two!'

WelshD

Visit site
I'm another thats astonished.

I'm even more astonished by the people who when asked how much the lorry weighs say '3.5 tonnes...dur.......' like I am bring thick

I know exactly what mine weighs but when I bought it they guessed wildly, I test drove another that had a 650kg payload but had been carrying 2 x 16.2 horses driven on a B licence

I think its because people genuinely think that as its a 3.5t lorry that can br driven on a car licence that is all they need to know

honetpot

Visit site
I even more worrying when you are buying a newly converted one from a well known company ( and there were a couple)and its not mentioned in their sales spiel.
There should be a 'plate' sticker buy the drivers door with weights on it.
I think buying a 3.5 tonne is a minefield any way as a lot are not strengthened enough to stop 600kg of horse coming thorough the flimsy partition and ending up on their head.

jules9203

www.pensdellequestrian.org.uk
I had this problem when I was buying several years back, when i sold mine on I took it to the weighbridge and paid to have it weighed so I was able to correctly advise on the unladen weight etc. It's amazing though how many people think a 3.5T box will take two large horses and when you say it'll be over weight they often reply 'no it wont it's stalled for two!'

Exactly - its amazing how much people think a 3.5T box can carry.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Not only do they not know the weight, they usually dont have a clue about the vehicle the box is on with regards to mileage, service history, (eg, when was the cam belt last changed) too, wastes so much time.
One dear girl even got snotty with another on Facebook last week when she was asked about the above, calling the other a time waster! There were only 2 photos of the box part and bu88er all about the cab chassis......

jaffa2311

Visit site
I have never had mine weighed. I would consider it when I sell it, although mine is at the lowest end of the market.

Although I own two ponies now, so what I say next isn't true anymore.

I bought it as I have a small cob, who even the smallest payload would be sufficient for, including me and tack. The seller gave me a payload which sounded about right, but no paperwork to prove it.
It was pretty obvious the lorry wasn't so heavy she was telling massive porkies. It is built with pretty honest, LW materials with no frills, no living, no human extras whatsoever, not even partitions!

Now I have two, I care a bit more. My lorry is unlikely to carry both for long, I could probably get away with it whilst my little on is 10 months old and small, although it is not really set up for two.

I have always used payload as my excuse for having transported nobody else's horse except my own.

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
OP if you're anywhere near Gloucestershire, Travel Two have a great reputation for second hand good quality 3.5s and although they don't state payloads on their website they seem to be knowledgeable and safety conscious so def worth a call to ask about weights.

If you do decide to buy new, watch out for some of the big name manufacturers - I went to see one with a friend who was looking and the saleswoman tried to wiggle out of my payload question - it turned out the model we were looking at had a 750kg payload! My friend has a 16.2 chunky warmblood so that would have meant no payload left for fuel let alone a driver or any tack!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I'm sorry to say, but after reading various posts on here and Facebook about how "my 3.5 ton box takes two 16h horses no problem", I have come to the conclusion that a lot of these boxes are driven by numpties. 1/3 don't know, 1/3 think that if it will fit in height wise that's enough of a guide. Hopefully the other 1/3 are fit to be out there!

WelshD

Visit site
When selling iI swear some know but dont say

If you say up front that a lorry weighs 2500kg so legally can only carry another 1000kg you wont get people interested when someone else swears blind that theirs will carry 2 horses

poiuytrewq

Visit site
They would probably rather not know or they would rather you believed it was perfectly legal to carry two 16.2s and a tonne of tack ;)
Sadly I think this is true. A lot of people (like myself before researching/buying) think they can legally and so I think it's almost praying on that naivety.
Mine weighs 2400g on a bridge and everyone is shocked at my "excuse" as to why I can't pop another horse on alongside daughters if we go places.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
There was one on FB recently that could easily carry two 17.2hh together and had regularly done so apparently.
These ads I am a bit childish and enquire as to the payload just to be awkward 😦

tiga71

Visit site
I am continually astounded at the stupidity of people who don't know how much they can legally carry. I just don't understand how you can be comfortable driving your horse round in a lorry that may A) not be safe carrying that weight, B) not be legal with that weight and C) not be insured in case of accident with that weight.

I have mentioned it to a friend who usually just has her own horse in, but does take another 16 h horse plus tack and two passengers. Doesn't seem bothered!!! Incredible.

Last edited:

tiga71

Visit site
There was one on FB recently that could easily carry two 17.2hh together and had regularly done so apparently.
These ads I am a bit childish and enquire as to the payload just to be awkward ��

I do this as well! Can't help myself sometimes

sarahann1

Visit site
I've seen many folk with two good sized horses on a 3.5t box, it seems to be almost normal round my way. I guess the assumption is 2 stalls makes it ok for two horses.

I say sod that for a game of toy soldiers, no way I'd put myself or my horse at risk by overloading a box.

zoelouisem

Visit site
Mine has 1100kg allowance when I'm going to away show and have to have mine and daughters clothes for a few days ect I will only take her slim 13.2 on my lorry.
For day shows I sometimes take a 12.2 for her to jump but I'm so strict about taking anything unessarry out of the lorry and never fill up with fuel just what I need and a bit over just in case. Even then I notice the difference with 2 in the lorry I'd never have 2 big horses.

Deltaflyer

Visit site
I know of two people who regularly overload their 3.5t lorries. They both regularly take two 16hh plus horses with vast assortments of tack and equipment and more often than not driver plus two passengers.

I have my won 3.5t but I only have the one horse who weighs in at 450Kg, sometimes I take a friends pony. When I do that all the tack, equipment and friend follow on in her car so as not to overload my lorry. It has an 1150 payload.

Pie's mum

Visit site
It's crazy isn't it! When I sold my old box I went and got a new weight certificate so there was no question about what the payload was! Same with new box - it had some work and a new floor when I got it so first trip was off to the weigh bridge to check.
Can't believe some people shoehorn 2 big 16hh+ into those little van conversions along with the stuff for both horses and the riders - hate to think how over they must be!

Crackerz

Visit site
Drives me mad!! Really really does!

The hire companies don't help - often see hire companies advertising a 3.5t box that takes 2x 16.2hh...

The weight of the chassis Cab will be 1.7 - 2 Tons. (This depends on type and engine size).
The weight of a well built container will be no less that .7 of a Ton and in many cases more.
So the total pay load on a well built one (with a reinforced bulk head) will never be greater than 1.1 Tons and in many cases less.
Overloading will have a dramatic effect on the handling and braking capabilities of the vehicle and is easily spotted from the rear by a police officer as the suspension will be well down so you are well wise to thoroughly check the payload by having it taken to an approved weighbridge!

My payload is 1250, with all the reinforcement done (had it built in 2014)

Limbo1

Visit site
This is quite enlightening! I remember hiring as 3.5t box when I bought my old horse, He was a massive 17.2 WB with 10in bone! I drove 3 hrs with him on board and in hindsight I may well have been over. I do remember when breaking I could almost feel the partision behind me move (it was rear facing). I was one of those it is stalled for 2 so must be ok!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
There are some old home conversions with two ramps (one had a hydraulic rear one!) that I don't believe are under 3.5T unladen :p I do tend to comment on those ones ;) and have suggested people get it weighed if they want it to sell- especially when you see it advertised again weeks later and still no weight known.