Why? When you go hunting...

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
You have just let the meet and are trotting up a narrow lane do people try and rush past you?
Then when the horse you are on starts to let rip (as in huge bucks, legs everywhere) do more keep shoving by?
Why oh why oh why?

Bossanova

Visit site
I had a good one last week- horse was being exceptionally naughty so turned around to get out of danger (ie avoid landing on others) and took horse back up the very narrow road which we'd just turned down. Cue a series of 4x4s coming the other way, none of which bothered to stop and let me pass, preferring to plough past endangering their lovely vehicles and mine and my horses legs

MissDeMeena

Visit site
I'm sorry, i feel i'm aloud to say this, as i'm as 'pro' hunt as the most people on here!!
But i do feel that most people who go hunting are the biggest bunch of tossers!!! and usually give themselfs a bad name!!!

Tufty

Visit site
Because the world is full of rude selfish people or maybe its a bit like christmas shopping at this time of the year ! At least on a hunt you may expect it but it happened to me on a hack on saturday, I wouldnt mind but a knew the people involved and they new that my daughter was on a young horse, she came over the top of its head on the road after a bucking fit and they rode off into the distance. NICE !

vicijp

TBH I cant understand the mentaility of some people. I was on the big horse - which would damn hurt if he got you, plus he has a mighty big reach. Hes not a kicker but he can have a buck, this year was the same as last year, one go leaving the meet(first time out) then not a foot wrong for ever more.
Now everyone always asks if im on a racehorse, and quickly move away when I say yes. So how come I am usually the only person without a gag/pelham/flash/standing martingale or all of them - and most of the time I am the only one in complete control. When I took Jeremy (MIF) out the other day the whole field got carted past the master, I was the only person that stayed behind him - and hes supposed to be a headcase (horse, not master).
That same day there was also a woman on a fat cob that was bleeding from the curb chain area.
I dont know why ive suddenly got to thinking about it, but winds me right up!

filly190

Visit site
I'll probably got shot down in flames for saying this, but from past experience the hunt has a mixed bag of people. Us ordinary folkes have manners and the nob heads none. They feel superior to us commoners and take delight in snubbing in the most effective way, hence what was done to you. They would be shouting from the roof tops if one of their horses got kicked and personally I have no time for such people. Luckily they are being less in numbers and us normals are taking over.

Visit site
MDM is right - the same happens this side of the pond - being very pro-hunt I am regularly dissappointed at how some of the field behave - not all of them and not all of the time I hasten to add - but having followed several other packs I was relieved to see that its not just our lot but it is generally same sh*t different face wherever you go!
The fact that they have to ask if you're on a TB says it all really doesnt it?

Nickymac

Visit site
I don't think it's much to do with whether you're "ordinary" or whether you're a "nob head", more about whether you can ride or not and therefore whether your horse has got manners or not.

Ferdinase514

Visit site
There is a similar post to this in the Hunting Forum - Poster saying she was visiting a hunt and was left alone to dismount and tie a gate, whilst rest of hunt bu**ered off.

Totally bad manners

vicijp

Get this, later in the day we were stood around edge of planted field. Random woman on cob parks herself right up my nags ar5e, so I turn round and say 'he wont kick but I wouldnt trust him not to have a buck when we get going again'. So she replys 'well thats your problem, not mine'.
By this time I was thinking *it would be your head that got ripped off you stupid bint*, but calmly replied 'well he does put his feet right up and out so dont say I didnt warn you'. She then says 'well cant you move on a bit and give me some room?'
OF COURSE I COULDNT DUMBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT IS THE ROOM I HAVE GIVEN MYSELF TO STOP THE HORSE IN FRONT KICKING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RunToEarth

Visit site
Personal favorite: people cutting me up into jumps, because Oshk will get sound up he will just go, twice as fast, and when they stop he will jump over them.
mad.gif
seriously, big lack of manners in the hunt field.

jayvee

Visit site
This is excatly why i can't be bothered to go anymore!!!! And I LOVE HUNTING.

The manners are appauling. And I don't think many know the conduct anymore or have the respect! Did that go down as well with the ban????

Hornby

Visit site
Isn't the truth of the matter that people are so busy thinking of themselves, their horses - whether they will stay on, manage to hold it etc that they don't give a thought to others, or the potential problems they might cause...? Manners are a dying characteristic in this country (and I'm no angel generally myself - although I DO appreciate the probs out riding due to my own aims at self-preservation!)

severnmiles

Visit site
Thats harsh...not all well to do people are 'nob heads', neither mum and dad were mounted when I was small and the couple that looked after me owned one of the biggest mansions in Herefordshire and Caroline shared a flat with Princess Diana as a late teen, yet we were meer commoners to them but not treated as such. They went out of their way to make sure I was safe and happy all day long and wouldn't ever gallop off and leave me, they'd wait when my pony refused jumps umpteen times too.

There are some plonkers out hunting but then there are in all walks of life. Some are just too busy in their own little world gossiping to notice much of what is going on.

I agree alot of people cannot handle their horses out hunting but I also don't think that having a gag/pelham in your horses mouth makes you any less a rider than someone with a snaffle.

georgiegirl2

Visit site
which is why i dont hunt my horses! they are too precious to be risked by other peoples stupidity! which yes is a crying shame as it would do them the world of good to go but i just dont trust people to be sensible! fair enough the eventing etc i do with them is risky but at the end of the day if anything happend to them it would more than likely be my fault rather than some bloody stupid idiots!

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The thing is, its not the rudeness of lack of manners that bothers me.
It just astounds me that people are thick enough to put themself and their horse in such obvious danger.

[/ QUOTE ]

It does me too, a pet hate aswell is when they know they're on something that kicks yet refuse to place their horses bottom out of range of anyone elses horse.

Clodagh

Visit site
I'm with SM, theres no more rude nutters out hunting than anywhere else.
My new girl bucks and everyone gives me a wide berth now they have seen her ability, but to start with the red ribbon was ignored by occasional hunters and respected by the regular bunch - who know me and know horse needed a ribbon or wouldn't have one.
But, vicijp I would have kept well away from your bum and not overtaken until I could do so sneakily and without your horse noticing, not on a narrow lane!
New girl is in a snaffle, old girl was in every gadget under the sun, horses for courses.
tongue.gif
smile.gif

Ferdinase514

Visit site
I agree- manners are dying in this country.

I doesn't take anything to be polite and apologise if you stuff up or get in someones way, but people seem to find it easier to be rude, than friendly.

SusieJane

Visit site
I took my youngster out for the first time this year, and therefore put a green and red ribbon in just to cover any thing.
I should have hung Fairy lights too for all the difference it made to some riders.
Its not just a case of manners, but of safety too. I feel hunting has become the "illegal" joyriding of horseowners since the ban, and I know many people have only taken it up since then.
I think all novice "hunters" should have a training day on the field, and not left to their own selfish devices.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry, i feel i'm aloud to say this, as i'm as 'pro' hunt as the most people on here!!
But i do feel that most people who go hunting are the biggest bunch of tossers!!! and usually give themselfs a bad name!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Aggghhhhh love it
a065.gif
a065.gif
a065.gif

( p.s I too am pro hunting
wink.gif

bandit

Visit site
oh - i've had them too - totally tw*ts.... and i find those on hirelings are sometimes the worst as they are silly idiots who don't know how to behave and their horses barge passed mine in narrow gaps, over take on approach to fences making it dangerous...

i too think that w/end hunts are worse than the mid week ones, and if i was to take my new mare out - i'd have to take her mid week and only for a short time.

thankfully my hunter was never phased and well mannared around the fools...

4whitesocks

Visit site
Hmmm, not filling me full on confidence for Sid's first outing!! - mind you last winter I was out on a cob belonging to a lady who whips in, we were coming out of forestry, two blokes having a smoke & a chat in the line up for the jump over the barrier out. Cob starts to get a bit het up - I shout 'scuse me' blokes continue to chat, 'SCUSE ME' - continue to be ignored.....following quite quickly by

'COMING THROUGH' as mare reared & barged past them to get to the fence.... I could hear the tuts all the way down the road...
well I did warn them...

vicijp

I have to say ive never come across the 'class divide' out hunting either. We are land owners for the local hunt, but even when ive hunted far away from home ive never been subjected to anything like that.
Only time I came across it was at school, I had a scholarship for the Cathedral school and got picked on there for being 'common'. When I got expelled and went to a state school I got picked on for being 'posh'.
Not for long in either case mind
grin.gif
Which school did you go to SM?

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
A Severe lack of manners, common sense & sometimes i even think eye sight, People simply have NO IDEA, and make little or no attempts to learn, they may be able to buy the horse/outfit/lorry etc etc, but you can't buy manners or common sense & IMO thats the biggest problem, older hunting families have been bought up knowing the do's & don'ts etc, but 'some' (not all) newcomers simply have no idea & i think try and transfer the yob/footballers wives culture onto the hunting field.

Makes me very angry to see manners totally disappearing

Nickymac

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
which is why i dont hunt my horses! they are too precious to be risked by other peoples stupidity!

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more! If I had one that I felt needed a bit of hunting, I'd pick my days very carefully and try and keep a 5 metre exclusion zone (in my dreams!) round it! If I damage them eventing then I've only myself to blame, but if someone rams up its backside because they can't stop and damages it I'd be really hacked off!

severnmiles

Visit site
Haha!! Did you know Geraint Pickering(he was usually found blowing up pidgeons with yeast!) - your age and Rhi his sister? Or Kim Jones? I can't say what school I went to..... you'll guess which one from me saying that! lol.