Why wont my rugs fit?

joop

Visit site
I have bought a 7 foot masta for my horsey which fits lovely in length, could be slighty deeper but fits ok depth wise. I am doing the buckles up on the tightest cos the wither bit is sliding back on her withers - it is not rubbing yet but it has only been two days but I am worried it will. Also by doing it up on the tightest buckles it digs in her chest when she puts her head down to graze.
I have also tried a 7 foot amigo and the same thing happens ( I thought that I would try an adjustable front which is why I bought the masta).
I have also tried a 6'9" rhino which is like a mini skirt and digs into her chest real bad. Again I have tried an adjustable front weatherbeeta 6'9" which is ok in lengthish but is like a mini skirt for depth and even on the loosest setting still digs into her chest.
So any ideas anyone? I am at the end of my tether I dont know what to try next. I have never had any problems like this just trying to find a comfortable rug. Thanks.

joop

Visit site
I dont know - surley if she was large chested the 7 foot wouldnt slip back? I really didnt want to go down the rambo route - they are expensive and she is only four and I am not convinced that this would solve the problems. Thanks anyway.

S_N

Visit site
Hi there. I had this exact same problem with my old chap and ended up altering a lot of rugs to fit him! Then I tried on a friends Rambo Supreme and it fitted like a dream! Look on ebay for 2nd hand ones...

RachelB

Visit site
I tried the Masta and Shires rugs on my big-chested pony as they were cheap, they didn't fit her front at all and were not worth the hassle. I bought Mark Todds for her (still not quite breaking the bank!) and they fitted really well.
My horse now also has a big chest, she has Mark Todds too but I think she goes better in Horsewear. Maybe try the Amigo rugs if you can;t afford an XL? They fit my mare well (but I was given two of them 6" too big!). Other than that (or leaving her unrugged) I don't know!

joop

Visit site
Tried the amigo and rhinos and they were worst of the lot. Suppose all thats left to try now is a rambo which no doubt she will of grown out of by next year. I left her unrugged last year because of this problem but she looked crap coming out of winter.

Alibear

Visit site
masta's always lack depth on anything other than TB's in my experience.

Mark Todd rugs are fantastic on "chunkier" horses esp those with deep chests. They wear and last well to.

Rugs just like clothes for us vary on fit depending on the manufactuere and you have to find the one that's best for your horse.

Rug buying another horsey nightmare, arghhhh

Louby

Visit site
I think Mastas have a funny shaped neck, Amigo were tight on my boy but I liked the new freestyle weatherbeetas for fit round the neck. Rambo fit my boy the best and Shires wouldnt even fasten in his normal size arround his neck.
I used to be known as the rug queen!!! Tried em all.
Good luck.