Why would a horse.....

S_N

Visit site
..... eat soil and chew wood? I mean actually biting mouthfulls of soil from the field gate way and lifting up the head and munching on it? Not quite as bad with the wood chewing, but def. does it. Does it need a supplement of spome kind?

Also, is Holy (branches & young leaves) poisonous to horses? Thank you!!

Mel85

Visit site
Some say it is a sign of lack of magnesium..? Not sure if that is the case! When we started feeding Nupafeed to a nutter the vet said that he was showing signs of magnesium deficiency - one of those being licking/eating soil.

Could also be a lack of salt maybe?

Chambon

www.picturetrail.com
Is this Hector? Foals and youngsters eat everything and anything. They try everything out to see if its edible or not, they don't care.
smirk.gif

If it's a mature horse, then it may be an indication of a mineral deficiency and/or an upset tummy. I would recommend either a broad spectrum vitamin and mineral supplement and add some salt to the diet. If tummy is suspected I would suggest an antacid type supplement.

S_N

Visit site
Yeah, Hector is doing the soil eating and fence chewing, but not the Holy thing. That's one of the horses that used to be in with them, that is now in another field.

He gets the recommended amount of Clop for his age.....

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
We have an old tree stump in one of our fields and the horses love chewing at it despite mineral licks. You do not think it might have something to do with teeth as well as minerals?

S_N

Visit site
No, he's never chewed her tail - her tail is FAB!! That's the one thing I hate about foals!

He gets plenty of fibre - grass 24/7 (IF they come in (rare now B is rugged) they have enough good quality hay to see them through to 7am when I get there), fed on HiFi Lite, Alfa-A Oil (he won't eat it without the HiFi
mad.gif
) build up cubes, Barley Plus, SB, splash of oil, clop + brewer's yeast.

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My cob used to do that when on clop too.... may be a salt thing I think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? golly, that is interesting!!!

KatB

Visit site
Yeah, I hadnt really thought about it before, but he used to do it, and G never did, but G was on topsec, cob was on clop.... may just be a coincidence.....

fjudge

Visit site
My horse eats mud and she gets vitamin and mineral supplements in her feed every day, as well as a salt lick in the field. I think she just gets bored of the grass and fancies a bit of soil every now and then!

seabiscuit

Visit site
seaweed should do the trick, as it is a natural trace mineral supplement - whenever Owen starts wood chewing I increase his seaweed dose and he always stops

S_N

Visit site
Foalies aren't supposed to be fed seaweed though - I will call Ellen (Collinson) tomorrow, I hope she's in the country. Thanks for that though!

S_N

Visit site
I can't remember if it was her or her Mum or even if I am mad and have totally lost the plot, that I met in KY
crazy.gif
Whoever it was, was great! My Bowen therapist swears by her!

seabiscuit

Visit site
I think youv'e got the generations the wrong way round-LOL! know that Ellen's daughter is a trained Iridologist...she is about in her early 30's...Ellen is in her 60's roughly I think!

goeslikestink

www.hozhatz.co.uk
its vitamins and can be minerals such as cooper and zinc
if they licking the dirt thats salt content -- earth has minerals in it - so that i wouldnt worry about to much as thats anatural wya to gain salt content for a horse--

chewing bark is also of atree--

chewing can also be if horse is young and changing teeth this can go on till 7 when all the teeth have changed -- and they chew bark at certain times of year -- ie tooth changed

but if its constant then its a crib biter which is diffferent

think horse- in the wild they would chew bakr as a teething ring for babies - think horse into licking dirt -- they dont have salt lick mineral licks in the wild so they get the natural way--

chekc with the vets and they will give you the right top for your horse as they have nutritionists --

each horse is different you cannot say it just one thing always consult a vet if your are worried as thats there job

Tempi

Visit site
bloss wood chews, but not all the time. she goes through fazes of it - they arent at regular times either (like season changes/grass growing times etc).......its quite bizarre.