Wide Branch Shoe?

Ludi-doodi

photobucket.com
What is one? Ludo's to have one on next week to support the foot that had the collatoral ligament damage. The vet recommended this and my farrier seems to know what one is, but I haven't a clue! I'll do a bit of google later on but I've sneaked on here this lunchtime to ask you very knowledge guys!
grin.gif

sally2008

Visit site
Do they mean a wide web shoe I wonder? If they do then I'm very surprised - horses I've seen with collatoral ligament damage have responded very well to having the shoe fitted tight to the quarter and with a very rounded off edge, to allow for easier turning, often combined with a graduated wedge pad to help take the pressure off the ligament.

Does that make sense?

sally2008

Visit site
You got me wracking my brains so I've been checking on the details. Apparently the shoes used ARE a wide web on the foot but the important feature is to have a bevelled edge - either a St Croix Eventer shoe if the horse is being shod traditionally or a Natural Balance shoe. I am told that it is particularly important in horses with collatoral damage that they should heel land, as toe landing will compound the damage.

Hope that helps.
smile.gif

Maggie2

Visit site
Sally, out of interest, where would you look up the types of shoe for different conditions, online if possible.

Thanks

Ludi-doodi

photobucket.com
Sally - thanks for your response. I didn't think my post had even loaded up until someone on the yard mentioned it this morning, so haven't even checked the forum since I posted. I'm pretty certain the vet said Wide Branch, but she is German (or maybe Swedish!?!) so I might have got it wrong. The farrier is to speak to the vet so hopefully between them they'll get the right thing!!

sally2008

Visit site
TBH Maggie2, I have no idea where would be best to find that kind of info online.
frown.gif
I am lucky to have a friendly and communicative farrier who is only to happy to answer questions.