Wide stirrup leathers??

Freya28

Visit site
I've been considering getting a pair of wide stirrup leathers (Pravins for an example) for a year or so now. Do people who have bought them find they add extra security to your lower leg/overall position? I understand they aren't a magic fix for lower leg issues and I don't expect them to be, but the saddle I use is very light and small and as a result theres not much to grip your legs onto which causes my leg to swing/feel very unstable (I'm not in a position to buy a new saddle so that is off the table). I just want to hear other opinions before I buy a pair! ?

TLDR; are wide stirrup leathers worth the price?

mini_b

Visit site
No they aren’t a magic fix but… I bought some pravins and they definitely made me feel more secure than standard leathers while I work on lower leg issues.

i really like them, if you can afford them go for it. The leather quality is fab and becs (supplier) will help you endlessly with sizing.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I saw my first Pravins recently and they had a really rough rear edge that I'd worry would mark the flaps, I suggested the customer go back to the retailer. great idea, just check the finish.

Just as an aside, too many people are working on positional issues which are to do with - pelvic shape, hip conformation, shape of ribcage and the fact we're trying to wrap two straight bones around a curved ribcage, and that saddles are really not designed, on the whole, to reflect variation in this. Nor are fitters geared up to understand where these instabilities come from and at least try and tweak existing saddles to help with rider stability. Change is coming, I promise, but it will be slow as the industry is stuck in so many ways. And that goes for the understanding of trainers for biomechanics, and biomechanics trainers for the part the saddle plays....no-one's fault as an individual, but the horse-saddle-rider equation is ALL.

Freya28

Visit site
I have the 60 quid FFS ones from ebay. Definitely worth that money.
How long have you had yours and have they lasted well? I'm definitely considering those as they're so much cheaper but just worried they won't be good quality since they're so cheap?

Freya28

Visit site
No they aren’t a magic fix but… I bought some pravins and they definitely made me feel more secure than standard leathers while I work on lower leg issues.

i really like them, if you can afford them go for it. The leather quality is fab and becs (supplier) will help you endlessly with sizing.
Do you reckon it's Pravins specifically or would any wide leathers do? I'm just a bit put off of Pravins with the price ?

mini_b

Visit site
Do you reckon it's Pravins specifically or would any wide leathers do? I'm just a bit put off of Pravins with the price ?

well. I’ve had stubben leathers that stretched horribly and they weren’t cheap. I can honestly say these haven’t stretched or anything like that and for me that’s worth it.