Wilki for a show?

Limbo1

Visit site
My daughter's pony is ridden in a wilki, goes well and certainly needs it for jumping. She wants to do a pony club pony class at a show, local hunt show. I wonder if it would be ok? Don't really want to buy a new bit for one show if can be avoided.

Visit site
Yes. Sadly it is perfectly allowable for showing from Lead Rein up to using it as part of a double bridle in Hunters. They are gags in all but name.

One day showing might wake up and allow permit dressage legal bits. But alas that day is far off yet!

be positive

Visit site
It will probably be ok depending on the wording of the schedule/ interpretation by the judge, a PC pony class may say to be in snaffles only, most judges will not count a Wilkie as a snaffle whereas some may be more lenient and allow it, if nothing is said about tack or bits then you should be fine.
I was going to add I hope EKW is not judging but I see she has already got her answer in!!

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
Wilki is not an appropriate bit for that class. Even if the judge overlooks it, the other children may notice and their parents certainly will. Do you want that for your daughter?

Fiona

Visit site
My daughter's pony is ridden in a wilki, goes well and certainly needs it for jumping. She wants to do a pony club pony class at a show, local hunt show. I wonder if it would be ok? Don't really want to buy a new bit for one show if can be avoided.

My son rides his 12hh welsh sec A in this bit... At our PC it is actually quite mild compared with some bits that I have seen used.

If you use it in your PC pony class, you run the risk that the judge hates them, and marks your daughter down.

If you think he would go OK in a snaffle, I'd maybe try to borrow one for the day, but if she needs the brakes, then just go with what you've got.

Nobody wants to see a child run away with.....

Good luck

Fiona

conniegirl

Visit site
Wilki is not an appropriate bit for that class. Even if the judge overlooks it, the other children may notice and their parents certainly will. Do you want that for your daughter?
no idea where you are getting your information from but unless specifically stated otherwise then a wilkie is fine in all showing classes!

Visit site

I would say 99% of the kids in the class will have a wilkie in their ponies mouth! It's the in thing these days because it is called a snaffle.

I have judged plenty of classes and I know for a fact that people have put their ponies in other bits because of my well known hatred of wilkies BUT the bit is one of the last things I would take into consideration in the class. If I had 2 great ponies that I couldnt split but one was in a wilkie and the other in an eggbut then I would chose the eggbut.