Will grass heat up my TB?

horsegirl

Visit site
We have moved from very little grass to loads of the stuff and my horse has gone a bit crazy. Very excitable, full of energy and also quite bad tempered. Could it be the grass?

CSYMolly

community.webshots.com
Definately mine always goes a bit looney on the spring grass then again when we have another flush just before autum. Only thing you can do is restrict grazing or if he/she is living out, wait for the grass to be eaten down, not much else you can do I'm afraid

beaconhorse

Visit site
Have you moved yards as well? The answer is yes the grass is likely the cause but also if you have moved yards that can cause them to be unsettled for a few weeks too.
can you restrict the grazing? personally I would!! not just because of the way it is affecting him but also because of the laminitis worry (yes even with TB) but especially this time of year and as he had less grass before

Oaksflight

Visit site
Restrict grazing with grazing muzzle or turnout time. Exercise him more, and cut out any hard feed if he's getting any, as sounds like he doesn't need it! He'll gradually get better after this flush of grass. Happens in spring and usually autumn, when we have a lot of rain, then a lot of sun.

horsegirl

Visit site
He was lunged last night for an hour and he was still jumping around and refusing to stand still. I am not so bothered about the livelyness but it seems to be making him very bad tempered, he tried to bit my daughter everytime she went near him when lunging and he is normally very good tempered.