Will I look daft??

PetalPower

Visit site
Whilst more of a lurker than a poster, I would appreciate some honest opinions.

I'm (slightly!) over 40, had a big break from riding due to career and have now been riding again for several years. I've a lovely 16.1 Swedish WB/Shire (and yes, she's coloured!!).

I'm thinking of doing the Jump Training at Richmond, just at 80cm as we're hoping to do our first ever BE80(T) at Shelford in May. The question is, am I going to get laughed at, stand out like the proverbial, etc or is this a viable option? Having never done it before, and with the entry fee being quite expensive and a 2 hr drive to consider I'd really appreciate any info or experiences you can give me/share with me on these competitions!

Many thanks for your help, jammie dodgers on offer if you've finished laughing!!

showpony

Visit site
Why on earth would people laugh @ you?? Good for you getting out & about - my Mare is 16hh ( 4 yo ) & we are just starting with 60-70 tracks next year & couldnt give a toss what people think :)

" I'm (slightly!) over 40, had a big break from riding due to career and have now been riding again for several years. I've a lovely 16.1 Swedish WB/Shire (and yes, she's coloured!!).

I'm thinking of doing the Jump Training at Richmond, just at 80cm as we're hoping to do our first ever BE80(T) at Shelford in May. The question is, am I going to get laughed at, stand out like the proverbial, etc or is this a viable option? Having never done it before, and with the entry fee being quite expensive and a 2 hr drive to consider I'd really appreciate any info or experiences you can give me/share with me on these competitions!

Many thanks for your help, jammie dodgers on offer if you've finished laughing!![/QUOTE]

gmw

Visit site
Course not! go for it!!! I and most of my friends are well over the hill (some of us galloping down the other side) we still ride and compete. We might not be Olympic prospects but its about enjoying your horse and doing what you want to do. If your pleased with yourself and your horse at the end of the day, that's all that matters. Enjoy!!!!!!!!

opinionuk

Visit site
I felt that way as I'm over 40 but I did my first be80 and loved it I was absolutely terrified as my horse isn't a prancy dressage horse which I imagined them to be, everybody was really friendly, to be honest everybody is so nervous about what they are doing they don't have time to bother what anyone else is up to!
Off to my second one in march can't wait :)

Muddyboots

Visit site
Go for it! I went last year to do the BE80 and loved it. There was two ladies there (similar age to you!) and they were pertified, but made a good joke out of it. The course walk was with Lousie Smales and she was brilliant with these two ladies. The one was in tears (with nerves!) before she went in. I didnt see her round but i heard poles clattering left right and centre. She came out with a smile on her face and was really chuffed that she did it!

PetalPower

Visit site
Thanks lots, will have to develop a spine and go for it!! If anyone spots a big coloured horse with a petrified rider, that will be me!! Thanks again for the encouragement, really appreciated.