Will they settle???

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I have a friends mare on loan at the moment and she is living out 24/7 with another friends mare.
Other mare is 17 and generally very agreeable. She has always had some argy bargy with any geldings but usually ends up being the "underdog". A bit of pushing about and then settled and she has always hacked out fine with them.
New mare comes in...this mare is the "**** on your shoe" lowest of the low ranking type without an argument in her. 13 years old.
Other mare turned into a Class A bitch almost overnight when we got this one home.
She chases, bullies and generally threatens to bite/kick her at every opportunity she gets.
We drive past the field several times a day and they appear to be fairly settled then.
We tried to hack them out together and that was a disaster and my friend is a very novice rider and isn't able to cope with her mare's behaviour as she runs backwards trying to kick or jogs to keep up etc. (This horse is an absolute saint 99.9% of the time).
New mare is fantastic in just about every way possible and I would like to think that she could end up staying if other friend decides to give up completely but at the moment it's stressful. Both horses will hack alone with no problems but we would like to hack them together!!
They have been together a couple of weeks.
Mares are not my thing usually and I have very little knowledge of their hierarchy etc so any advice would be gratefully received;:eek:

Damnation

Visit site
My last mare was dominant. She went into a field with another mare and for about a month they HATED each other. Opposite ends of the field, couldn't lead them together, squealed and kicked out at each other if they came within 10 feet of each other.

Then, overnight, it was true love.

Mares eh?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I'm sure they will settle yes, we had one that I swore would never ever be ok and I was scared I'd end up having to get rid of the field politics got that bad!
They did calm down and ended up getting on fine. It's quite stressful to watch though at the time!
As for the riding, could you swap horses til they are more used to it? (Just thinking if your friends nervous and it's hers that plays up?)