Will your foal(s)....

MillionDollar

Visit site
stay out 24/7 during the winter? Or do you get them in at night? And does anyone rug them up?

Just wondering really as mine have been out 24/7 but I wondering if they'll need to come in when the weather gets bad. I think they should be fine as we used to have about 30 TB foals kept on our farm and they all lived out 24/7 without any rugs all through the winter.

volatis

www.volatis.co.uk
Mine live oit happily rugged, very sheltered field.
I did bring them in for a month or so last year just for some extra handling and out of the very worst of the weather, but they probably would have been happy to stay out

TFS

Visit site
mine live in at night with a rug i like to barn them in the 2nd and 3rd winter but atm thats not possible so everything will be coming in at night this winter

S_N

Visit site
Should I find somewhere else to keep mine (not foal I know, but yrlng), he will be rugged and out 24/7. Ideally I'd like to have a run in shed for them.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Ours normally live out with barn shelters with ad lib haylage inside, some get rugged up (we leave that as late on as possible) others don't.
Last year all bar one were rugged because she had a coat like a polar bear and would have been far too hot with a rug on.
This year the foal who was ill wil be kept in every night but all most days in order for him to never get chilled and to hopefully catch up on his growth.
I never used to rug any but one year we had a gang who flatly refused to share either shelter with the rest of the herd, and after seeing them tucked up and miserable I invested in various rugs.

Irishcobs

Visit site
Out 24/7 but with access to large barn and ab lib hay. Will bring to main yard/stable if ill or really unhappy out but never had it happen yet.
We are in a dilema this year though as normally the youngstock live in the barn field but we are worried about putting two very playful 3 year olds in with 2 weanlings, so I think the 3 yr olds will have to rough it in another field with good hedge shelter.

MissMistletoe

Visit site
My mare (in her 20's) and foal (born july) will be out 24/7 in a well sheltered 8 acre field with oodles of grass. I have brought filly a Masta lightweight turnout that i will only put on her in windy rain conditions. I will stable them overnight once a week only, and this is to give their feet a chance to dry out and to apply barrier creams. I wouldnt like them to have to be squashed in a shared stable every night!!! In the ideal world i would like to keep them in the open barn system way, but it's about compromising at livery yards and im lucky to have found a yard with 24 hr t.out.

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Dont have a choice they will come in at night & last yr I was pressured into rugging the foal because he looked so depressed when it rained all day! So this yr if this colt needs to go out in the rain then he will wear the rug if it fits. I have a feeling though that this one is more likely to rip at it & anyone else wearing one!! But I would rather they went out then stuck in a stable all day.
spermandegg2_1.gif

apkelly01

Visit site
Currently mine are living out 24/7 unrugged. Bandit will be weaned at 6 months and will be going to Sligo were he will be in at night and out during the day. Super will be back at the old livery yard and will be back to work - so she'll be slightly clipped and then out during the day, in at night and will be rugged.