William's eye op - update

Wilbur_Force

Visit site
So, yesterday was the day that Will had his third eyelid removed due to pre-cancerous Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Prof Knottenbelt at Liverpool recommended removal at my own yard in our indoor school under general anaesthetic.

Well, the HHO vibes worked a treat so thanks everyone!!

I had no idea what to expect, but it went really well, not pleasant hearing your horse hit the floor (I didn't look!) but the vets were brilliant. It took him ages to wake up and he had us in stitches at his snoring and dreaming! In the end, the vets had to jivvy him up but he got up beautifully and stood four square. Huge relief and the vets were delighted with his recovery.

Today he is obviously v sore, but still eating well and kicking the door for attention!

He'll eat his flunixin in his tea but the trimedazine is going to be syringed in tomorrow, bad pony lol.

It's a big worry lifted and biopsy results should hopefully come back clear.

All things being equal, we should be back out doing BD and enjoying life in no time at all :)

PorkChop

Visit site
Great new - thank you for posting an update :D

I have used honey or marmite as a carrier for syringing medicine before, a bit messy though, good luck.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Willberforce, My broodmare had exactly the same op a fortnight ago, hers was done standing, heavily sedated in a crush, majority of 3rd eyelid removed. Her tumour was the size of a small raisin. Lab results are favourable but she will have to wear a UV mask at all times except the depths of winter.

She recovered very well and today there is nothing to see. Good luck with your horse.

JingleTingle

Visit site
My old gelding had this op many years ago at Newmarket - he was 6 years old. Unfortunately the results came back as not very good. I was warned that he would inevitably go on to have cancer problems, most probably in the nasal passages and his outlook wasnt more than a couple of years.

This May I very sadly had him PTS at the age of 21 to a completely unrelated health issue. The eye that was operated on never gave one moments trouble in all those years.

Just thought I would share in case the lab results aren't brilliant - I was devastated but apparently nobody told Solomon the prognosis!:D

Wilbur_Force

Visit site
AA and GOM, thanks for your stories, really appreciate it. It's definitely looking better today, but membrane is still bright red. Vet out again tomorrow to check it over. I'm using the Cashel fly masks which fit him brilliantly. Will's lump was about half a little finger nail, never grew or changed shape either. Horses can be a nightmare at times :)