Willie Mullins

piglet2001

Visit site
I was wondering if anyone knew what the elasticated bungee things he uses are called. Just came across a video of his yard and had never seen them before. They look different to the bungee things people seem to use over here. Just being nosy really ...

Thanks in advance

cundlegreen

Visit site
I was wondering if anyone knew what the elasticated bungee things he uses are called. Just came across a video of his yard and had never seen them before. They look different to the bungee things people seem to use over here. Just being nosy really ...

Thanks in advance
a lot of trainers use them, but most are leather with clips. Not sure what they are called though. A french trainer started the practice, as he reckoned his horses covered more ground with each stride when their heads were kept down, therefore using less energy when racing. It certainly helps them build their neck and back muscles up.

tashcat

Visit site
Can you give a more accurate description?

If its what you mean by 0:42 in this video -
Then they're a type of draw reins - traditional ones will run up through the girth through the bit and then to the riders hands, essentially adding another rein. They're traditionally used to encourage roundness, but here I suspect its to encourage the horse to lower its head - also when I worked for eventers in the past they're often used on lively/ tricky horses as an extra bit of control.

Visit site
We just call them French Bungees lol! I think you can get them from Gibsons in Newmarket. Big thick pieces of elastic. I am not a fan as the horse never gets a break.

piglet2001

Visit site
Can you give a more accurate description?

If its what you mean by 0:42 in this video -
Then they're a type of draw reins - traditional ones will run up through the girth through the bit and then to the riders hands, essentially adding another rein. They're traditionally used to encourage roundness, but here I suspect its to encourage the horse to lower its head - also when I worked for eventers in the past they're often used on lively/ tricky horses as an extra bit of control.

Hi tashcat

Yes they are what I mean. What are they called, I’m dying to know.

I had never seen anything like them before.

Thanks

Carrottom

Visit site
As EKW says the horse can't get a break and really stretch. I think they are also put on when the horse it tacked up so it won't even be properly warmed up first, at least with draw reins the rider can decide whether to use them (provided they have good enough hands).

Mule

Visit site
As EKW says the horse can't get a break and really stretch. I think they are also put on when the horse it tacked up so it won't even be properly warmed up first, at least with draw reins the rider can decide whether to use them (provided they have good enough hands).
Yes, I follow your reasoning, the neck muscles would get very tired/sore if the horse had it on for too long. The muscles would have to be warmed up first as well.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
These are just heavy sidereins attached between the horse's legs where they are exerting a constant and very direct pressure on the horse's mouth and bars. Draw reins would be far preferable as they at least have the possibility of release. I'm saddened but not surprised that they are being used in this way.

piglet2001

Visit site
Don’t panic anyone. I don’t even have a rideable horse at the moment 🤣. Maybe they have their uses and maybe they don’t. I was just intrigued 😊.

Thanks

Mule

Visit site
D
These are just heavy sidereins attached between the horse's legs where they are exerting a constant and very direct pressure on the horse's mouth and bars. Draw reins would be far preferable as they at least have the possibility of release. I'm saddened but not surprised that they are being used in this way.
Doesn't the horse get release when it lowers it's head?