Wilton- what a day!!

Bossanova

Visit site
So today was George's 2nd novice and Grinder's first novice down at Wilton. The xc was nice but a bit technical and plenty to think about so a few wobbles were expected.
Grinder's dressage was up first, after his ear thing he's been a bit sensitive and with all the flies around he was quite agitated in the arena so dropped a fair few marks amongst some nice work- ended up with a 41.

Next up was George- he always produces a smart test and didnt disappoint, did some lovely work and got all 7s and 8s for a score of 28
smile.gif

Next up George's sj, the arena there is lovely and spacious, the track wasnt fully up to height but had some related distances and two combinations so was causing a fair few probs. All I can say is that horse tried his little socks off- he was SO careful, not many horses will try that hard. He jumped a foot perfect clear
grin.gif

Straight onto xc- again what a superstar!! Lovely confident clear round with 7.2 time, meaning he jumped a lovely double clear. Wander over to score boards to check his time and low and behold he finished 4th!!!

So Grinder's jumping phases next- was raining by this stage so was bit glum. He also tried hard, he has all the jump but needs to learn how to neaten up in front, particularly when he's in close but we're getting there and he didnt disgrace himself with 3 down.
Xc he again was green but very sweet, he really doesnt understand about skinnies yet and considering he hasnt done an event for a while he did very well to complete. He'll have learnt alot and it proves that novice is very easily within his scope so hopefully he'll just continue to go on improving.

So George is a complete superstar and Grinders pretty special too
smirk.gif

I got a little bit merry at the sponsors lunch (my sponsors were sponsoring a section so I was invited) which helped the afternoon rain pass
wink.gif

spaniel

Visit site
Well done on the placing, thats brilliant!

Not sure how YOs horse got on today, just arriving home as I left but I heard 'eliminated at the water' as I walked by.

Never mind, he has another one running tomorrow so all is not lost!

Bossanova

Visit site
That water is trappy- horses see lorry park and then are faced with darkness and mucky puddle, Grinder had a brief hesitation there but George went through quite sweetly

Bossanova

Visit site
very pleased!! He's in no way shape or form flashy but he's active and regular which gets him 8s for his paces everytime. He even managed 7s for his lengthening and thats something he's really had very little schooling in.
we love george!!!

Visit site
well done Boss - out of interest and as a seasoned campaigner, what's your advice on skinnies as my ned is from a sj background and has no idea what to make of them!

Bossanova

Visit site
Lots of people like to introduce skinnies in the arena- using short poles and barrels or similar, this way you can use guide poles as wings and gradually take them away and make the jump skinnier.
Personally though, I introduce them whilst xc schooling, good courses will have skinnies with wings and they give the horse the idea that they go straight and jump narrow things right from the word go

burtie

Visit site
Thats's a great result sounds like you had a fun day!

Are you going to Brokenhurst at all, I'm helping on the Saturday for I think one of the Novice sections Dressage?