Wimpiest Breeds

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Luna (husky) has damaged a dewclaw. It has broken off completely, no idea how she did it. It bled quite a bit, and has been checked by the vet. We need to keep it clean, and just keep an eye out for infection.

One of my very good friends is a vet nurse, and always, I take her advice. Have sent her some pics of the injury. Is very funny to me, because whenever she has a horsey problem, she always asks me, Mrs not know much!

Anyway, to my question. Luna isn’t overly bothered by it at all. My friend says dewclaw problems are generally very sore and painful. Miss Lulu is the biggest drama queen I know, so I am quite surprised that she’s so unconcerned by it. E has said, from her experience, huskies and greyhounds are the biggest wimps going.

What do we all think as a large range of breed owners?

PapaverFollis

Visit site
The spaniel is tough as old boots. Took him up Skiddaw once and didn't notice he'd completely skinned his pads until I put him in the car. Not an ouchy step or a slowing down to be seen.

The Springer cross Collie on the other hand is a super wuss. I've had to carry him back to the car on occasion for very minor things compared to having no skin left on your paws! I don't know if this means collies are wussy or if the particular combination of madness that is a sprollie also makes him a complete wuss.

SpringArising

Visit site
I have to say I don't think Staffies register pain until their leg is falling off. They might give a bit of a limp then. They are the Natives of the dog world and exactly why I love em!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Think it depends on the dog, greyhounds are bred to do a tough job and they're one of the oldest breeds on the planet and some are very capable of wearing their brave pants!

Drive can carry dogs through things they would find scary, a painful or discomforting in another scenario.
My old dog is known for being resilient (and bloody-minded and thick-skulled) but can also be a big baby.
He screams and throws tantrums and needs a dummy tit to have his ears looked at or a cut cleaned out.
The younger one seems to be very receptive to sympathy lol, I have to be pretty businesslike with him or he turns into a bit of a malingerer :p

My showline GSDs were incredibly stoic, to the point where you didn't know there was something wrong until it was really bad.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Varies. Brig opened up the top layer of his stomach and didnt whimper, I only found it by stroking him. On being chipped, Bear screamed but is normally impervious to everything. Zak has decided he's scared of the wind. He won't go out for last wees unless on the lead-round the garden! He's also funny about everything having his paws inspected. Funny little dog.

Talking of skinning pads, all 3 did it one day, not one moaned.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Oh and another one. Spaniel ended up with full on pneumonia last year... until his breathing rate went through the roof and he was shaking as he was going to sleep you would not have known a thing was wrong. He'd lost a bit of weight is all. The sprollie ended up at the emergency vets with a touch of kennel cough because he was making such a fuss he managed to convince me he was dying.

planete

Visit site
My sighthound embedded a sharp piece of wood between his front toes while racing around and had to have it removed under anaesthetic. I only found out when I noticed a bit of blood on the floor and investigated. On the other hand he howled the place down for his booster injection one year...

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I think it is individuals rather than breed. We had my big dog Odin who would howl at any issue he had, run to mummy and ask for help.

Our other dog, Isis (yes, unfortunate name - we named her when Isis was just a Greek Godess rather than a terror group!) was hard as nails. Once got an infection tracking up her leg, all infected, noticed when the smell started but she was oblivious! She once got access to the used tins, chewed one in half, ate it and I only knew when she pooed out the mangled remains.

Both GSDs, bith brought up the same, one wimpy and the other hard as nails.

meleeka

Visit site
My vet said Spaniels are very stoic and that was certainly true with mine. She went out for a walk before she was pts and was still wagging her tail. To the outsider she looked fine and only we could see she was a bit wobbly. My JRT is a terrible wimp. I thought they were more hardy intil we got her. A few claw tear would have sent her into a major panic!

MuddyTB

Visit site
Our greyhound is pretty tough. She has recently fallen/crashed in to doors/steps on 2 occasions and has several quite large cuts on her back leg. She barely yelped and hasn't bothered since.
I was amazed as when it comes to getting her feet wet or going out in the rain she's the biggest wuss on the planet.

The Trooper

Visit site
Both my girls are Border Collies.

Ellie - Failed sheep dog/Rescue is as hard as nails. I've seen her slice her pad open and not bother, i'm talking slice top to bottom, blood everywhere, all over her and down her side and back end. It looked like she was going to die.

Mahra - Bought as a pup, total princess. She won't move if there is a branch or something like that stuck in her tail, like chalk and cheese.

handbagsandhay

Visit site
My old whippet boy was the biggest wuss you will meet. He would scream blue murder for looking at him the wrong way. But my little whippet bitch is hard as nails. barely whimpered when she broke her pelvis wee scone

Dobiegirl

Visit site
All the Dobes Ive had over the years have been hard as nails, they have always loved the vets too as they just loved the attention they've received. They skim the skin off their paws on a regular basis running over and catching their paws on the rim of the concreet path so one or the other is always wearing a pawz boot, not a murmur from them

yhanni

Visit site
English Bull Terrier is mega tough apart from her toe nails!! Only time I've heard her squeak - didn't even murmur when she broke her leg ... with an audible crack!

twiggy2

Visit site
All running dogs are terrible wimps unless they are running at which time they could almost pull a leg off and the adrenalin just carries them on.
When stationary or slow a thorn has them screaming!

meggymoo

Visit site
Greyhounds! Our first screamed so piercingly when she had claws trimmed at the vets, several heads popped around the door to see what was happening.

CrazyMare

Visit site
Greyhounds. One of mine screams when her paw is picked up to have a claw clipped.

They can be tough though, the other one gashed her leg open, needed sutures, but I only found it because there was blood all over the place.