Wind-Sucking

Heidi1

Visit site
TB mare just decided over the last two weeks to start wind-sucking, never done it before, not sure if the fact that the grass has died off what with all this hot weather, but was looking at Feedmarks Settlex, anybody used it, any good, or can you recommend another product, not a happy bunny and really don't want to put a collar on her, they are awful things, the strange thing is she doesn't do it in the stable just in the field and it's after she has had her tea, so not like she is getting stressed. Any help, recommendations, advice would be greatly appreciated. Hate to see her doing it.
confused.gif
mad.gif
crazy.gif

horsegirl

Visit site
My TB is a cribber and as far as I can gather has always done it. I don't believe it is anything to do with indigestion as he does it as soon as he eats something and it can't have reached his stomach yet. As far as I can work out it is a habit and they become addicted much like a smoker needs an after dinner fix. I know there was some research done regarding feeding the horses rennies but I find it hard to believe anyone who claims to reduce cribbing by 200% (hmmm)

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
It is possible.
I managed to completely stop the worst wind sucker I have ever known with a Global Herbs supplement and good management. Before I had her she had a collar on which they used to tighten a hole every week, she would do it constantly in the stable and out in the field.
She had an hours turnout every other hour during the day, and haylage and feed every time she was stabled. She was stabled over night. Within 3 weeks she had completely stopped.
H's Mum has a product available called Coligone. I have only just started using it this last couple of days so cant comment (although it has a pretty colour and a nice smell
grin.gif
) so cant comment. Im sure she will reply to this post, or maybe pm her.

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
he does it as soon as he eats something and it can't have reached his stomach yet.

[/ QUOTE ]
... this simple action tells me lots about why your horse may do this - if he is wind sucking straight after eating he may have gastric irritation....A gastric ulcer typically causes a sharp pain in the stomach soon after eating...
Kate x

Heidi1

Visit site
Going to look into Coligone, H's Mum PM'd me, just waiting for a reply from her, but think it will be a visit to the website and a purchase....... Thanks everyone....