Windgalls & Tubi-Grip!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Anyone know if tubi-grip would help keep my boys windgalls down? They always puff up this time of year and stay pretty much all summer until the ground softens up a bit (although still has them then slightly).

I know Tubi-Grip supports the leg and pressure can keep windgalls down. BUT then I know its bad for the tendons to have something too tight......?

Fairynuff

Visit site
I would bandage him when hes in his box and try and ride on soft going-otherwise I'd leave them alone. Mairi.

spaniel

Visit site
I really wouldnt try and mess with the circulatory system for something like windgalls which, in most cases, are cosmetic and there purely to protect a joint. Its natures way. As soon as you take off the restriction to circulation it will start all over again.

Spot1

Visit site
If this is a reaction to hard ground your horse might have articular windgalls, they can be found just above the fetlock joint between the suspensory ligament and the cannon bone, a little further forward than tendinous windgalls. Perhaps talk to your farrier about fitting pads or cushions while the ground is hard. It does depends on the extent of the distension. Hopefully you will be able to prevent further enlargement.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Our horse has an apalling windgall which has gone a bit mental at the moment. He is usually bandaged over night when stabled but now he is roughed off is out all the time and it has really come up. We tried splintex gold but that really caused the whole fetlock to swell up and he has been really stiff on it. So now just leaving it and hoping it calms down again.
He is 16 and was always prone to getting stable swelling overnight which would go down so just wondering if in old age he can no longer get rid of the fluid so effectively.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Ok, I wont do anything with them. Unfortunately Im in a very dodgy situation as the only place I can exercise is in a paddock which does get rock solid in the summer. Yet I event and SJ so I have to try and keep my horse fit! It is very difficult, already I dont canter when the ground is hard and certainly dont jump. After any work I always cold hose his legs.

I think the main reason he gets them is because he does have quite a high front leg action so the concussion must be worsened by this.

I do have Splintex which worked wonders on a splint he had, but am unsure if I want to use it on these and I cant imagine it would be a long term thing. I have also used Bioflow boots on him which do seem to help but Ive been told by someone that I should never use magnets on a grey horse as it can cause sarcoids to react, last year one did as well!