windgalls

wldntulike2no?

New User
Visit site
Does anyones horse have windgalls? I was told not 2 jump my mare 4 3months about 4 weeks ago by my vet. He basically said 3months light work, and that she probably wldn't b the same again. However on asking ppls advice they have allsaid that my vet is over reacting and I have started jumping her already and did a 2ft6 class today. I bandaged them and put cool gerl on them afterwards and they r fine. Am I making a terrible mistake by jumping her so soon? Anyone who has experience of this or any helpful advice, pls reply!

TURBOBERT

Visit site
I think you should do as your vet advises. I would have to say that there are I know two types of windgall and one I believe relates to the tendon . Most horses if they have worked hard particularly on hard ground or roads have a windgall or two and they cause no trouble at all but you vet would not have advised you as he has if there was not good reason.

TURBOBERT

ClaireM

New User
Visit site
hi. you are not making a mistake by jumping your horse. just make sure you keep the legs well hosed after each jumping session, and be sure to boot your horse up well. ice the legs after competitions, and you wont have a problem. I have a couple of ex gallopers with windgalls that i jump in B grade comps. thats about 140cms. they compete regularly most weekends.
if you make an effort to look after your horse's legs, you wont have a problem.

TrecPeter

www.alwena.com
Hi,
I've tried giving my 9yr horse a homeopathic dose of "Apis mellifica" and it seems to work quite well to clear windgall swellings.
He didn't have them before this year, but fortunately, they're quite small and of no consequence.

Cheers
Peter