Windsucker damage to fencing

wickedwilfred

Visit site
We have a mare who is a committed windsucker. While this doesn’t bother me in itself as I understand it isn’t harmful to the horse, she is damaging my fencing posts by pulling them up. We have tried applying Crib Stop products without success and I wondered if anyone had any useful tips.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Electric top wire is all I know that will stop them but please give her one or two sacrificial posts somewhere to get her endorphin fix. I would think of maybe a 150/200mm gate support post dug in really deep.

Last edited:

wickedwilfred

Visit site
Thanks for the advice. She already has a go-to cribbing spot on top of the plastic hay dispenser, but seems to prefer pulling up the fencing posts. Someone should invent a small device with sharp points that you can nail on top of the post.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Thanks for the advice. She already has a go-to cribbing spot on top of the plastic hay dispenser, but seems to prefer pulling up the fencing posts. Someone should invent a small device with sharp points that you can nail on top of the post.

Ouch, horses damage themselves enough without sharp points on all your fence posts. Ive had horses jump fences in the past (and land on and snap fence posts) so Id hate to think of the damage thatd cause if they had sharp bits on them too. Personally I had a cribber once, I let her have a couple of her favourite posts, otherwise just ran electric over the top like others have said - its not that much effort to be fair.