Windsuckers

Nic

Visit site
Would it stop you buying an otherwise ideal horse?

Never thought I'd buy one, but just seen a youngster (6) that could change my mind.

Can it lead to any other conditions?
Ta

N x

Tufty

Visit site
I have just bought one last week and thought I would never consider one but just loved the horse so much I took a view. I came to the conclusion that every horse I had known that was a wind sucker had been talented and a great horse apart from the wind sucking. I have bought a miracle collar for my horse to stop him but some people would disagree with me as some think that it is a way of them releasing tension and that if you prevent them from doing it they will get stressed.

GTs

Visit site
I would definitely turn away - if any of my horses start wind sucking I would give them away - free to any home! They would be gone in 24 hours.

Tia

Visit site
It really is each to their own - I cannot bear windsuckers and would never ever consider having one as I just cannot stand the noise they make or the damage some of them do. I never allowed any horses on my yard in the UK with this vice.

Interestingly I have never met one over here in Canada - maybe because horses spend so much time outside.

Nic

Visit site
Gah I'm torn!

It's by a stallion whose offspring I have met, liked & have been very sucessfull. Out of a mare I have heard good things about. Not to mention that if it didn't windsuck I couldn't afford it
smirk.gif

But could I stand it?

Would have daily turnout and on a small stress free yard.

Hmmmm my head hurts, too much internal arguing!
frown.gif

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
It depends how much you like this young horse. If it is just a youngster there is a chance that by changing the husbandry and management then the windsucking will lessen over time. Saying that it depends how ingrained it is as a stereotypy.
I think wind suckers are a lot less of a worry than crib bitters and in the end it should not effect the ability.
hope that helps
Dawn

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
I would personally have to walk away. Like someone above said, the noise they make drives me absolutly crazy and I just dont think I could bond with it as a result

I know its not "their fault" so getting annoyed with the noise doesnt help.. but it really does drive me up the wall :p

air78

www.ctwequine.com
I have one. If you like the horse you accept it's vice. Loads of people have horses with other problems, like being bargy, or biting, or difficult to catch and they don't mention it. I'd rather have a lovley windsucker than one i couldn't load!
I don't think the collar is a good idea though, he does it to releive stress (or a memory of stress), so stopping him only makes it worse.
Make sure he is never with out food- lots of fibre, has company and gets turned out everyday. If you are lucky this should minimise the behaviour.
smile.gif

one more thing, if you google it, research comes up about ulcers from high grain diets i.e. race horses; the use of antacids has been proven to reduce or stop windsucking.

Clodagh

Visit site
I can't stand the noise. On the yard I work at we have one, its incessant and in an American barn I'm sure all the other horses must get fed up with it too! She also gets colic occasionally.
I'd rather be barged or bitten!!
tongue.gif

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather be barged or bitten!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Barging, biting, not wanting to be caught, not wanting to load......these are all things that we can do something about - these horses can be taught not to do these things....with a windsucker it cannot be taught not to windsuck.

It is a very difficult decision for you Nic to make, but one that only you can make - we can't really help you. Best of luck whatever you decide.
smile.gif

Bri

Visit site
Sid windsucks and cribs. It has never bothered me particularly. He only does it after eating, and I've found coligone has helped with that.
I guess it depends how bad this horse is - we used to have a horse on the yard that would literally do it all day, even in the field he wouldn't graze just stand there sucking! Drove me insane!

TequilaMist

Visit site
Would depend on how bad and how much I liked the horse.Had a mare that did it but only when fed so didn't see it as much of a problem.Would it be kept on yard?Know a few people who still wouldn't want windsucker on yard.How would it stand with insurance if it got anything associated with windsucking?
As been said before it really is only a desicion you can make.

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
TequilaMist makes a valid point.. do you have your own premises? Or are you pretty settled where you are on livery?

I know plenty of people that wouldnt want a cribber / windsucker on the yard because theres still quite a stigma about the behaviours being "catching" with other horses.

Would be a nightmare if you do buy him / her and then ever need to move and cant find somewhere!

GTs

Visit site
Are you telling me hitting them with a dressage whip 10 times (and if you do not seen blood 10 more) is not going to solve it?

Nic

Visit site
Thanks everyone.

I know the current rider so will chat more in depth about when it does it.

I knew it could be a way of obtaining relief from ulcers so would try Coligone if I do go for it.

So any idea what you would pay for it (Tia & GT's does not apply to you I would love to get it for nothing!)
tongue.gif

Quality 6 year old 15.3hh approx, dark bay gelding out of top show hunter by event stallion

Currently being brought on by Int'l eventer and going very well.

Has excellent paces, excels in flat work and starting to jump.
Good to work with
Has been seen to windsuck
His 1/2 sister is an FEI event pony and did very well.

Thanks

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
If its your own yard then Id personally be less bothered since only you has to live with him
smile.gif
(hope that doesnt sound mean.. its not meant to!)

No clue on price estimates though
frown.gif
Sounds a nice little horse aside from the windsucking

Tufty

Visit site
I would say £6000 ish sounds really nice to me ! You can manage the windsucking if you have your own yard its just like people biting their nails it cant be good for them but it certainly doesnt stop them doing everything else in life !

rcm_73

Visit site
I don't think it would stop me buying an otherwise ideal horse. There's always things you can do to try and minimise it as already discussed, antacid supplements like coligone, maximum turnout, collars etc. My friend has an otherwise ideal ex-riding school horse who windsucks quite badly. She has had problems finding yards & with people on yards (moving their horses away from him) but she currently has found a place who are quite understanding.

RunToEarth

Visit site
I dont see things like that as a problem. Safe horse? Sensible horse? Horse set to go places? If I found a horse that was right for me, but windsucked I would buy it for the same price I would expect to pay without a vice, because in my eyes, it isnt one really.

druid

Visit site
Nope - have just bought (vastly reduced) a windsucker with sweet itch. He does his job fabulously and is sound...all that matters to me.

TheBlackMoth

Visit site
Our YO was a bit concerned about us buying a crib biter. But I took the view that in every other way he seemed ok. The vet was really positive about him and the girls had fallen in love. We are going to try all the things suggested on here and we will love him anyway!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Had one and wouldnt buy another UNLESS the horse was really something special, ie. perfect for me in every other way. Really irritated me the horse doing it and made him hell to sell on as it did put a LOT of people off!!

Tia

Visit site
Sounds great apart from the size and vice. Because he is only 15.3hh I would put him at somewhere around £3,500 max.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
PF windsucks and it is VERY annoying. However, she did it alot less when she had more turn out, so it certainly is manageable. I don't think it would put me off an otherwise ideal horse although I would expect it to be cheaper than a vice-free neddy.
I wish Coligone was available here *sigh*