Wintec saddles and changing gullets

dumpling

Visit site
I have a wintec wide. It came with a dark purple gullet which was way to wide so I bought the white (extra wide) gullet for it. Now I can't for the life of me getting it to fit in. The screw holes don't seem to line up!

On the purple gullet it says oy for use with wintecwide and Wintec half linger... I've never heard of that model.

Anyone got the same problem when changing gullets?

hayinamanger

Visit site
The extra wide white gullet is made for the Wintec 2000 & 500 models, it is not designed for use on a Wintec Wide saddle so the non-alignment of the holes would be a dilberate deterrent to prevent incorrect use.

Clava

Visit site
The extra wide white gullet is made for the Wintec 2000 & 500 models, it is not designed for use on a Wintec Wide saddle so the non-alignment of the holes would be a dilberate deterrent to prevent incorrect use.

No, the wintec Wide takes a red wide and the white extra wide, but nothing smaller (it says so on the saddle). It is fiddly getting the white in, but should be quite possible.

Clava

Visit site
Taken from the Wintec Site: FAQs Wintec.au

Which saddles accommodate the EASY-CHANGE™ Gullet System WIDE?

The New Wintec 500 Wide All Purpose, New Wintec 500 Wide Dressage and the now discontinued Wintec Wide are the ONLY Wintec models that feature the WIDE gullets from the EASY-CHANGE™ Gullet System WIDE. They have trees specifically developed to accommodate the WIDE gullets. Trees in our other Wintec models have not been designed to stretch this wide, doing so would risk distorting and weakening the tree, which may lead to a breakage not covered under the manufacturers' warranty.

Can the New Wintec 500 Wide range take gullets from the standard EASY-CHANGE Gullet System?

The New Wintec 500 WIDE All Purpose, New Wintec 500 Wide Dressage and the Wintec Wide saddles are only suitable for horses with wide conformations, due to the saddles' broader chamber and other special features. These saddles do not accommodate the standard EASY-CHANGE™ Gullet range.

but they also take the red and the white as well as the purple wide gullets.

On the label on the Wintec Wide it clearly states "warning, fit only red, white, pink, mauve or purple."

Last edited:

Clava

Visit site
Yes, I realised when I re-read properly that OP had put the white (extra wide) gullet and was not trying to fit the standard wide white one :)

There is only one white extra white one, it fits both types of saddle. extra wide is extra wide. The standard red wide one fits Wintec Wide too.

OP - read the label under the girth straps! but yes it can be a struggle to get it in.

Clava

Visit site
Thank you. Will check it tomorrow. There was two of us trying to line it up and there just seemed no way!

All I can say is that you have to pull the tree in quite hard, especially if it has been previously used with one of the really wide gullets - good luck :)

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
I have a wintec wide. It came with a dark purple gullet which was way to wide so I bought the white (extra wide) gullet for it. Now I can't for the life of me getting it to fit in. The screw holes don't seem to line up!

On the purple gullet it says oy for use with wintecwide and Wintec half linger... I've never heard of that model.

Anyone got the same problem when changing gullets?

I have to change them round yards all the time, some are easy and go straight in and some are a real pain. It's more of a knack than brute force, if you are near me, bring it round and I will do it for you, Oz :)

dumpling

Visit site
Just an update, I tried it again tonight, there's no way at all I can see it will fit! Even YO said she couldn't see the likelyhood. I took some photos but will need to wait and upload them. There just seems no way the gullet hole will line up at all with the hole in the saddle. It seem the gullet shanks are too long.

:/

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
Just an update, I tried it again tonight, there's no way at all I can see it will fit! Even YO said she couldn't see the likelyhood. I took some photos but will need to wait and upload them. There just seems no way the gullet hole will line up at all with the hole in the saddle. It seem the gullet shanks are too long.

:/

You're just not eating enough spinach are you!!

Kiristamm

Visit site
I have 1 Bates and 5 wintec saddles, The first time you change the gullets you have to use a LOT of force, i put one screw in, 1 turn down, then try my best to put the other in, and screw in 1 turn then the other and vice versa until in. Where are you?

dumpling

Visit site
I'm in central Scotland.

Tried the turning screws once and still no joy. I also tried all the strength I had! It seems like the pommel bit should be higher up so the holes line up.

Both Yo and I tried and nearly stabbed each other in the hand with the screwdriver!

kiagirl

Visit site
Are you taking off the first girth strap and removing the flap to change the gullet? I never used to as saddle was second hand with no instructions but then saddler came out to check the fit and showed me how to do it. It was so much easier her way.