Wintec saddles

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’m looking for one temporarily as a cheap getting going saddle.
I once had, and stupidly sold for peanuts a 2000 model which came with a horse and I was pleasently surprised at how ok to ride in it was. I’m having trouble finding one though now for the kind of money I sold mine at and am wanting to pay-about £150.
Lots of 500 models. Anyone know if these are any good? I want something relatively secure!! Not bothered about cosmetic condition or colour as above it’s just a stop gap.
I don’t like Thorowgoods much so not interested in one of the hundreds of those advertised!

Last edited:

silv

Visit site
I think the only difference is that the 2000 has leather girth straps and more suede on it than the 500, which is just the plastic and has plastic girth straps. Its more the budget model, but I believe its the same tree etc.

MuddyTB

Visit site
Agree with silv, I thought the only difference was the suede finish on the 2000. I have an old style 500 and although looking a little tatty now it's done me well for 12 years.

holeymoley

Visit site
I had an old style 500 about 10 years ago and it was good. I recently purchased a second hand 500 for going to the beach etc but the fit was ghastly. I would try and find and old 500. The old 2000 are quite rare I found. Either that they’re not in the best condition.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’ve found on eBay an older 2000 for £104. The description states the seller does not have the knowledge to take apart to inspect the tree. This makes me wonder if there’s something wrong!?
There’s also a very good one locally on eBay for slightly more money but definitely worth it. It’s however only 17” not 17.5 like I wanted.
I theory I’m only a short ar** and that should be fine but I always remember feeling a bit tipped forward In a 17” T’good and was told by a saddler it was because it was only 17”

holeymoley

Visit site
I’ve found on eBay an older 2000 for £104. The description states the seller does not have the knowledge to take apart to inspect the tree. This makes me wonder if there’s something wrong!?
There’s also a very good one locally on eBay for slightly more money but definitely worth it. It’s however only 17” not 17.5 like I wanted.
I theory I’m only a short ar** and that should be fine but I always remember feeling a bit tipped forward In a 17” T’good and was told by a saddler it was because it was only 17”

Thorough goods are notorious for tipping the rider forward. Can’t stand them. I’m 5ft1 and had a 17” wintec. Actually I think it’s may have been 16.5”

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Have a look on NFED ( New Forest Equine Directory) - there are several Wintecs on there in various sizes within your budget.
Well that’s a slightly addictive site! Thanks for that, there is a 17.5 2000 at the right price so I’ll give them a call tomorrow to ask about postage.
What’s about right to post a synthetic saddle?