Winter jackets, any useful tips?

madmav

Visit site
My ancient, but expensive, ski jacket that kept me safe and warm through winter on horse, dog walks, kids' football, etc, appears to have died. Zips, seams and all are now knackered.
I have no idea what to replace it with. It was a trooper. Any budget, warm, waterproof ideas please?.. Don't want to be cold. Or wet. But am a bit cash-strapped, unlike the days when I bought my formally good coat...
Maybe asking for the impossible, but worth an ask...

Clannad48

Visit site
I managed to get a nice warm, waterproof HKM jacket in a sale. Please don't make the same mistake I did though, bought a winter waterproof jacket without a hood :( :(

_jac_

Visit site
I bought a Sherwood Forest Hampton jacket a couple of years ago.

It's very warm, waterproof and I wear it all winter. On our shoot, to walk dogs and to the yard.

Highly recommend it :)

Elbie

Visit site
I got a Toggi jacket as an early birthday present a couple of years ago. It was £90 in the sale. I love it! It has a detachable fleece inner jacket which is lined so is quite warm on it's own. Got 3 coats in one for £90 so not too shabby!

Other things I like about it are that the hood zips on/off and isn't stored by rolling up into the collar. Tried on a few jackets that had the hood stored in the collar and found them so uncomfortable! It also has fleece lined pockets on the stomach region which are angled so you can put your hands in them to keep warm without having to stick your arms out at awkward angles!

Vodkagirly

Visit site
If you're looking for cheap don't look for equestrian. Workman's hi viz jackets are waterproof and really warm. Alternatively if your not wanting as bright look in Primark or Aldi or eBay for a ski jacket.

Kat

Visit site
Tip, don't look at horsey brands, look at hiking, climbing, skiing or cycling gear. Most riding brands are many years behind in their technology and are no better than fashion wear.

A bilet jacket or ski jacket will keep you blissfully warm. Buy a separate waterproof to layer with on wet days, look for goretex, eVent or nickwax analogy fabric to be really waterproof. On less cold days you can wear the waterproof with a fleece or even just a t-shirt in summer.

I love paramo gear for riding as the fabric is soft and doesn't rustle and is easy to wash without reducing the waterproofing. It also has a lifetime guarantee.

MyDogIsAnIdiot

Visit site
TK Maxx will have loads of snowboarding/ski coats at this time of year, often at a massive discount. Look there first as you can often get a £300 jacket for as little as £40! Failing that, what size are you? I've got a few old (used for one week) ski jackets that are sitting in the spare room so will send you one if you want and they'll fit :).

madmav

Visit site
Thank you so much for the offer of a jacket! I'm really touched by that. I'll be brave and venture into TK Maxx! And thanks for the other suggestions, too. Will look into them.