Winter mud protection for belly

saddlesore

Visit site
As above really- does anyone have any fail safe methods? The wet weather here has resulted in a muddy belly/armpit area in my boy and despite wiping off with a towel daily it has weakened his sensitive skin to the point of pink and sore skin under the girth (happened after a fast hack and obvs hasn’t been ridden since). He’s clipped but pink skinned on the belly and armpits. Any suggestions for treatment and prevention? He’s currently in overnight if that makes a difference. Thanks ☺️

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I use a cotton sheet under a turnout. The sheet has a home made belly wrap attached. I make the fastenings, 3 each side, from T bars. The size and shape of the wrap is made to fit each individual horse.
For the parts that can't be covered don’t wash or brush hard just use baby oil or similar. Remember to patch test first.
I hope you can a way that works.

Lady Jane

Visit site
Nettex 7 Day Mud Away really works but it brought one of my horses up in lumps. I use baby oil, works really well for me but as said above, patch test first

saddlesore

Visit site
Thanks everyone- just caught up with this! Going to look at a belly flap for next winter for sure and off to google 7 day mud away and keratex mud shield powder. Re not clipping those bits he’s EXCEEDINGLY hairy and I’m worried he’d and up with a lurking skin issue caused by sweat ?