Winter riding (or lack of)

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
My horse was professionally schooled (to address a canter lead issue) for a few months while I recovered from an operation. I then had to move yards as I moved across the country for work, and picked the only yard in the area that had all day all year group turnout. Everywhere else had single or only turned out a few hours a day. He is on full livery and I can’t fault his care - he is beautifully looked after (which is why I chose the yard) and the owners are lovely, but the arena is absolutely not all weather as I was led to believe. I’ve only managed to ride in it twice since I’ve been here (over a month) as the other times it’s too wet to ride (and often too wet to lunge).

As a result I’ve lost motivation to go up completely as it seems silly doing a 40 min round trip just to go and pat him or re-groom him (he is already groomed by them). For example I feel guilty that I haven’t seen him this weekend, but I know the arena will br flooded for days after the rain we’ve had.

I could hack him (weekends only due to work and lack of light) but it involves roadwork and he isn’t the type to let me get on and go for a quiet hack when he hasn’t been exercised all week. That said, I’m loathe to move yards as this is the only one with turnout, the standard of care is great and they are re-doing the surface next month so there is a light at the end of the tunnel. It just means that there’s basically no way I can ride until that’s done, and I’m terrified that I’ve wasted thousands of pounds having him professionally schooled when I can’t carry on the good work. Can someone give me a good slap or some reassurance that he’ll be fine after some time off? I’m worried he will go back to striking off on the wrong canter lead as that’s all he remembers :(

Carrottom

Visit site
Don't stress about the lack of riding, as long as he's happy, and looked after well, a month off shouldn't be a problem. I think its better to wait until you can work consistently and if the pro did the schooling correctly it should be "installed".

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
December and January riding tends to be rubbish anyway, and if the arena is going to be re-done next month then I would not worry at all. Just pick the horse up then, if the schooling was done properly then a couple of months off won't matter.

On the other hand, some arenas are useless when flooded, whereas others stay firm underneath. I would actually go and ride on it to make sure it is unusable as it may just be splashy. Mine at home has a wet corner, but is still fine to ride on - other than the splashiness it feels just like the rest of it. With a new horse I do lunge a couple of times first to scope out what they will be like when the splash their tummies ;) but generally then just kick on.

The old work arena where I taught had another one where it could be 2/3 flooded (as in sheet of water and no sand visible), but all was firm and OK under the water. I just made sure the horses were acclimatised and made sure, if it were a novicey rider, that it was either jumping wet to wet or dry to dry :p. I hosted some exams and the examiners always wanted to call off the jumping, but we just told them the horses and riders were well used to it so we would kick on.

On the other hand, the supposedly new and improved (and expensive) surface they replaced that with was totally useless when wet! Not suitable to even lunge on.

blitznbobs

Visit site
I often find a couple of
Months off helps embed the schooling rather than forgetting it... my cob had 3 months off due to my life getting complicated and
My other horse being time consuming and when I picked him up again all the issues I was having seemed to disappear - don’t stress -about it

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
The horses don't mind have a few weeks off over winter I'm sure :) As long as he's happy don't worry & take the pressure off yourself. It's next to impossible this time of year with the weather & lack of daylight. I can only ride mine over autumn & winter due to a pollen allergy so this time of year really gets to me as between my blocks of 12hr day & night shifts I'm not left with much choice :rolleyes:

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
December and January riding tends to be rubbish anyway, and if the arena is going to be re-done next month then I would not worry at all. Just pick the horse up then, if the schooling was done properly then a couple of months off won't matter.

On the other hand, some arenas are useless when flooded, whereas others stay firm underneath. I would actually go and ride on it to make sure it is unusable as it may just be splashy. Mine at home has a wet corner, but is still fine to ride on - other than the splashiness it feels just like the rest of it. With a new horse I do lunge a couple of times first to scope out what they will be like when the splash their tummies ;) but generally then just kick on.

The old work arena where I taught had another one where it could be 2/3 flooded (as in sheet of water and no sand visible), but all was firm and OK under the water. I just made sure the horses were acclimatised and made sure, if it were a novicey rider, that it was either jumping wet to wet or dry to dry :p. I hosted some exams and the examiners always wanted to call off the jumping, but we just told them the horses and riders were well used to it so we would kick on.

On the other hand, the supposedly new and improved (and expensive) surface they replaced that with was totally useless when wet! Not suitable to even lunge on.
SADly

I have tried riding and lunging on it but horse wasn’t happy and frankly I didn’t blame him. It’s quite deep and uneven when it’s dry so under water it’s a real bog. I can lunge in the middle if it hasn’t rained for about 5-7 days (which is how long it takes to drain) but it’s uphill and downhill and when it’s still wet horse gets splashed in the face incessantly which can’t be a fun experience