winter routines for ponies with cushings?

gothdolly

Visit site
My two are currently stabled at the moment (the bloomin' mare is lame (infection and possibly tendon injury - waiting for ultrasound) and the gelding has seedy toe - arrrgghhh) and Im thinking about keeping them stabled a lot more this winter than before, as the mare suffered last year from repeated foot abcesses and the gelding has got laminitis in February 2 years running and both seemed to go downhill.

I obviously want to give them some turnout and both will be worked (Riding the gelding and leading the mare). They are both arthritic, the mare is 31 and gelding is 19.

Can anyone with ponies with Cushings give me their ideas for winter routines? I really really really want to avoid more foot infections/laminitis this year... just waiting for the next vet bill to arrive in the post!

thanks
Cassandra x

TGM

Visit site
The routine that worked best for my Cushings pony (non-medicated) was mainly stabled but with two hours turnout in the morning (on non-fertilized nearly bare paddock) and two hours in the afternoon. Never turned out when frost on grass, and reduced turnout when a wet spell occurred after a dry spell.

Rosehip

Visit site
My old lad stayed in 24/7 - his choice - he could go out if he wanted as I opened the door when I was mucking out/mixing feed etc etc, but most of the time he just looked at me as if I was wanting him to walk over hot coals!
The main thing is to restrict grazing and be careful of sugars really....What TGM has suggested sounds good x

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
I think it very much depends on what facilities you have. I have an arena, a 10mx10m 'barn' with sandy floor and huge stables with rubber mats. I tend to move the horses around and leave our Cushing's pony either free to wander in and out of everyone's beds (she likes to do stuff she thinks is sneaky and it perks her up no end!) and as long as she is sound, she is 'allowed' to escape outside, as that is even more forbidden
grin.gif

It's all about quality of life balanced with fair, pro-active life-extending management, though I do occasionally feel I am being cruel to be kind and mitigate my guilt with judiciously awarded treats. No two Cushing's ponies are the same and eventually, I believe the battle will be lost to laminitis
frown.gif
but I'm not letting her go without a fight.

Company for the Cushing's pony is important and so is stepping back regularly to look at the bigger picture. I live with my nose pressed to the Cushing's window and am regularly in danger of being sucked into a spiral of miserable anxiety and clouded judgement.

concino

Visit site
I agree with the points raised by Brighteyes - in particular quality of life and keeping your pony interested.

I fed my old chap on castus angus (monks pepper) which has an awful taste and smell but I masked this with cinnamon. This pony did not have a weight problem - but he was exercised, at his pace and not too far. He stayed out with the other horses and this also meant that he was kept moving and played. I would emphasise the need for exercise, interest and as already mentioned, quality of life.

Cushings will win in the end, don't let your pony lead a confined, unhappy life. When you feel this is happening, be brave and do the right thing. Good luck to all those with a horse or pony with cushings, it is not at all pleasant to watch the progress of this awful desease but there is a lot that you can do with good management.

One last thing, After trying to keep an elderly pony warm and dry in winter whilst coping with sweating ( cushings effects the ability to control body temeperature - and this is complicated by excessive hair/ reduced hair loss) my pony had a new lease of life after he had a belly/ chest clip.

K27

Visit site
My old girl whom we had until recently had cushings, she was retired so we made sure she got turned out for part of the day in the winter in the afternoon most days and kept her happy.

It just depends on what suits your routine and lifestyle and what grazing you have/weather situation as well I guess.

Re the infections, I was advised that it's all part of the horrible Cushings Diseease- as it supresses their immune system so they are more prone to infections and find it difficult to shake them off. I never tried it with my mare however I've heard that Echinacea may help.

Good luck with your horses though.

gothdolly

Visit site
Thanks - the 31 year old mare has Cushings and is my old childhood pony, my gelding has metabolic syndrome (which I believe will "turn into" cushings as he ages (he is 20 next year) and so I have to be very careful with both of them in terms of turnout and management. Sometimes I feel like giving up and feel utterly defeated. I can see sometimes why some people choose to PTS when they get the diagnosis of cushings, its so hard to manage in a way that you feel is nice for the horse.

Thanks for your input, its gratefully recieved.

x

concino

Visit site
CassandraRose - don't get too upset, concentrate on the good, not the bad. Your pony is 31 - you must have done something right to get her to that age; think about all the good things you have done and the happy life she has had with you.

I have had many animals in my life and I have yet to have one of them put down without seeing in their face and knowing that they, not me, decided that it's time to go. It is never easy and it does not get any easier; as I right this, the sadness is still their.

Your last comment -"it's hard to manage in a way that you feel is nice for the horse " is true but if you really know your mare, just watch her and there will be something from her that tells you what to do for the best. Good luck - there are many people who understand the difficult times you face.