winter rugs - do think this would work?

horsegirl

Visit site
HI,

Opinions please….I will need to buy winter rugs for my TB but I imagine he won't like a lovely warm stable rug being taken off to put a horrid cold turnout rug on so I thought I could buy a very thin turnout rug,
just something waterproof really and then put this over the top off his stable rug when he is turned out.
Then I will only need 1 turnout rug no matter how cold it gets and I would have to buy a couple of thicknesses of stable rugs anyway. Does anyone do this and do you think it will work?

ihatework

Visit site
I'm sure it would work to a certain degree but
a) if thin rug gets ripped, stable rugs get wet
b) quite often there may be a certain amount of leakage around the neck etc.

Why not consider getting some good quality turnout rugs and then not bother with stable ones, just leave the to ones on overnight?

horsegirl

Visit site
didn't think of that aren't TO rugs stiff and scratchy though? Last time I had a horse new zealand rug was about all you could get!

Lobelia_Overhill

www.mymiscellanyhome.net
If he's in the habit of finding a luverly muddy puddle to roll in you're going to need a of of indoor rugs!! I'd buy a few blankets use them one at a time (one on, one in the wash, one ready to use) under his stable rugs, take the stable rugs off, leaving the blanket on, and put his turnout rug on over that...

[ QUOTE ]
Last time I had a horse new zealand rug was about all you could get!

[/ QUOTE ]

Heehee, me too!!

ihatework

Visit site
LOL !!
Its really difficult to find traditional NZ rugs now.

The modern turnouts are pretty amazing.
A good make to look at are horseware. Top of the range Rambo's are quite expensive but they do a budget range called amigo which are super quality and real value for money. They come in light, medium and heavyweight plus you can get a detachable hood to match.

Sparklet

Visit site
Apart from the leak problem - they all get a bit damp inside and taking them off allows them to dry. You might end up leaving your horse overnight in a damp stable rug on a cold night. Stood still in a stable they will be significant colder than when moving about in a field.

The other problem is that if you dont remove rugs regularly they start to rub really badly. The act of changing them twice a day re-sits them on the horse and prevents this.

Parkranger

Visit site
Tell me abuot it - it's a minefield now isn't it? I mentioned new zealands in a saddlery the other day and they looked at me like I was bonkers!

I've brought an outdoor heavy rug from these guys www.premierequine.co.uk which was a bargain at about £70 and very very good quality. Going to buy a mw outdoor (probably mark todd) and then just a mw stable rug......if his outdoor rug is kept in his stable, I'm sure he'll be ok being swapped over........
grin.gif

ihatework

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Apart from the leak problem - they all get a bit damp inside and taking them off allows them to dry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gosh, i have never found that, taking a wet turnout rug off and hanging it up 'to dry' during winter months I always find they are more damp in the morning that when you took them off!!!
By leaving them on the horse the body heat naturally drys the rug off.

I do take your point about the potential for rubs though ... hence the benefit of spending a bit more money on a higher quality/fitting rug

Parkranger

Visit site
Fraid so! He is a bit of a star though and I rode him about 4/5 times before I finally decided to take the plunge..........he's luverley!! Do you have pics of your horse - I guess he's quite new too? x

Parkranger

Visit site
Cool - had Ty for 2 weeks today.......settling in really well now....how's yours settling in? What are you planning on doing on him/her? I'm trying to get him fit then decide where to go from there!

horsegirl

Visit site
well I haven't really ridden much for the last 10 years either so just getting back into it really at the moment. He is a bit thin but quite fit. He has evented in the past (he is 10) and in my mind I would like to so some very very beginner eventing although in practice I don't think my riding would be upto it!!
What has yours done before?
How big is Ty? Mine is 16.1

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I would be tempted to go and buy a good quality newzealand - like Rambo, Fal etc. and not bother with a stable rug (if you are fitting the horse out for the first time).

You can leave the rug on in and out - and he'll be quite happy.

seaview

Visit site
My advice would be defo go for the Rambo,
They are more expensive but last years, my pony still has his from 10 years ago and its still in good nick.
I ahve begun to realise the cheaper ones are just false economy tbh.

Nat
x