Winter turnout areas/tracks

foxy

Visit site
Wondered if anyone had experience or advice with regard to winter turnout areas and tracks. My fields closest to my stables get very wet in winter but the bottom one is fine, in fact they lived out from Jan no problem. The issue is I have to walk through the other fields when I bring them in or go and feed etc so last year the area we walked on churned up really badly and so this year I want to do something to avoid it. Anyone have any ideas or has done something similar.
I have looked at the mudcontrol mats which would be great but because its quite a distance it is far too expensive. I was thinking hardcore with a membrane on top and then sand...do you think this would work?
Any ideas gratefully received
Thanks

GinaGeo

Visit site
I wouldn't use Sand for a walkway area - not unless you're planning to use a high quality arena grade sand. We had it in a loafing area for three years and last year removed it and replaced with pea gravel. Much better and doesn't turn into a soggy puddle, that gets tracked everywhere!

In my experience a membrane doesn't work for a turnout area as the reprobates end up digging it up. Same reason I wouldn't turnout in an Arena.

In your shoes I would dig down, add hardcore for drainage, and then put road plainings on top. Ours has been down for about six years now, works perfectly and the mud hasn't made a re-appearance. Over time I've added Pea Gravel sections to give them somewhere to roll etc.

tristar

Visit site
i use a riding surface for turnout a lot in winter, it has no membrane, lots of drainage stone though, and have a big yard of hardcore in front of the stables, , and looking to do something similar at our other yard as it works well and leave the doors open for stable access

foxy

Visit site
i made a track to the field last year with 10 ton of 20mm limestone, banged down flat.
Thanks, we used limestone for the parking area that we walked the horses through from the field but found it didn't work very well as it dug up by the horses hooves did you have this issue?

Hallo2012

Visit site
Thanks, we used limestone for the parking area that we walked the horses through from the field but found it didn't work very well as it dug up by the horses hooves did you have this issue?

no,albeit mine are both barefoot and fairly light footed, and we did a really thick layer, whacked it down, and drove over it to compact it, so its smooth and flat on top now.

BBP

Visit site
We have also got limestone over membrane and rolled. Some has carpet laid over it. It hasn’t cut up yet and some of them have been on it 24/7 for the last year. We do feed hay on it so if it’s not cleared/swept it can get a bit sludgy. Ours was done under planning permission along with our arena that they are also turned out in 24/7

foxy

Visit site
We have also got limestone over membrane and rolled. Some has carpet laid over it. It hasn’t cut up yet and some of them have been on it 24/7 for the last year. We do feed hay on it so if it’s not cleared/swept it can get a bit sludgy. Ours was done under planning permission along with our arena that they are also turned out in 24/7
Thanks

irishdraft

Visit site
We made a track from beach sand from the existing arena when we moved here 18 years ago. Dug out track put down hardcore ,membrane on top then put sand down . It has worked very well grass has grown over it on the edge but it's never muddy I turn horses on it when fields are too wet .