With another or individual - WWYD?

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Last summer my mare spent most of her turnout time in an individual paddock.

This winter she’s been in a herd, one of them being a small pony and they get on well. My mare might push her away from the gate or away from people, but otherwise they seem friendly together, lead in well together etc.

The pony spent last summer in her own individual paddock as well because she doesn’t need much grass either. Our yard has rich diary grass.

The owner of the pony said maybe we can work something out for summer with both of them in together, we both fed hay last summer once the grass got short although not sure if they’d fight/get bored or it would be ok.

We can make a paddock as big as we want within reason, we’d have to share poo picking but we both go up twice a day. My mare is 15.3 but a good doer, so a bit of a different height to the 13hh pony.

Is it something you’d try? We both feel guilty they’re on their own in summer!

Last edited:

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Definitely give it a try. It could mean you only have to poo pick for half the week and your mare could be more active in the field.

Very true, my mare was fed dry hay all summer and I’m aware the pony had soaked hay, so might have to see how that stands as don’t really want to feed soaked hay.

Will see how things go.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
My mare calmed down quite a bit once she had company in the field, she had been on individual turnout for a couple of years and I thought she was content. If only one of us rode we stabled the other and that worked well