Witham Villa Riding Centre - Happy horses?

showjumpingfilly

Visit site
Just wondering if anyone rides there/has been there recently?

Came across one of my old horses on their website. Wasn't the home I wanted to find them in so am pretty gutted. :(

Am I right to feel awful and want to go up with the lorry and offer to buy said horse back right away? :eek:

Or Are the horses/ponies well looked after? Are they happy and healthy?
Do they get used for lessons all day everyday? :confused:

Thank you to anyone who can offer anything. I'm sure the owners are lovely people and the horses probably are fine, it's just one of those things that I've never really wanted one of mine to go to a riding school, and hopefully some of you will understand that I'm not being harsh or judging riding schools I just want to know if horse is ok.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
My OH used to compete dressage there so we visited fairly often.
I would say it is definitely one of the better riding schools. Horses always seemed to be happy and healthy.

PonyIAmNotFood

Visit site
I don't know the centre, have a tried Googleing for reviews? Most treat their horses very well as they are the basis of the business, so unless it is one with a very high turn over of horses, i would expect them to get excellent care and not be over worked.

finkle

Visit site
Im not a million miles away from Witham Villa and can honestly say that I have never heard a bad word about this place...infact quite the opposite...

Botters

Visit site
I had a couple of lessons at Witham Villa after a long break from riding.

They seem to cater for a higher level of learner, the horses are mainly ex competition quality horses, and they all seemed very well cared for.

It wasn't busy when I went, I had a private lesson, so there were not lots of horses all trudging around the school together.

Also the horses I rode were talented, had spirit, and needed riding, so not your typical institutionalised riding school pony.

They also hold clinics and affiliated competitions so it isn't your bog standard riding school.

Hope that makes you feel a bit better.

I sold my first pony to a riding school, and often feel guilty and want to go and rescue him so I know how you feel, but he seems happy, and is a favourite with the kids.

Hedwards

Visit site
I dont ride at Witham Villa (I did a loooong time ago before the current owners)

I do know one of their regular instructors and a few people that have lessons there. I have to say that the horses do get really very well looked after, they are one of the best riding schools in the area (the other being Vale View)

Personally I know we dont like the thought of our horses being in a riding school, however this one isnt your average riding school, I have been up to watch my friend have lessons a few times and am always impressed with how well and happy the horses look.

Visit site
I've never been to Witham Villa but don't live very far away from there. I know quite a few people who have been there and they have a good reputation and it is definitely thought of as one of the better yards in the area. :)

Madhacker

New User
Visit site
My horse was there on working livery for a while and was only ridden by me and one of the apprentices. Honestly it is more like a competition yard than a riding school. The owner and many of the staff are competing often at high level eg PSH dressage. I believe this drives up Standards and creates an ambition for all culture. I would nod ride anywhere else.

jofwigby

Visit site
I am local and Witham Villa has an excellent reputation - I would drop Verity Saul an email who I'm sure would put your mind at rest

Renvers

Visit site
I compete there semi-regularly and the yards look clean, the horses look happy enough in their stables, especially when watching us all try to navigate a test in the arena in front of them.

Verity, the owner seems a genuine and pleasant person.

Abi90

Visit site
I learned to ride their and one of my friend’s has freelance taught there.

Unless something has massively changed then everything goes out every day. They don’t get used for more than 2 lessons a day and all get a day off. Their care was always meticulous as well

Skib

sites.google.com
I have ridden and hacked RS horses for the last 20 years. My ignorant observation is that RS horses stay healthy because they are well exercised. They may work for 2 or 3 hours 6 days a week. My old share died aged 23 or 24, and the Connie a bit younger but that was due to Melanoma.