Wobbleberry new to eventing - fitness plan/training schedule?

Bernster

Visit site
It's not even the end of the year yet but I'm gearing up for 2017. Horsewise this means the slightly daunting task of getting ready for the Wobbleberry Challenge and doing our first ever event. Eep.

The thought of it fills me with horror and excitement, but if I have a plan and can work my way through it gradually, I think that will stop my head from exploding.

For those in the know, could you share your fitness and training plan, or any big tips you have for a first timer please? Or point me in the right direction to read up myself?

I'll be doing clinics, course hire, unaff comps and training at home but I'd like to know what to aim for in terms of fitness in particular.

I'd say he's in lightish work at the moment - per week he's schooled 2/3 times for 45 mins (lessons/pole work), hacked 3/4 times for 45-1hr, lunged once. Will be increasing the sj work now that we have a jump saddle, and prob swap a schooling session for 1 jump session. In total ridden 5/6 days a week, sometimes twice a day if one is a hack (which is why the above doesn't add up to 5/6 in total).

I'm now going to start interval training and fast work on hacks. I don't want to do more days in the school as he's only 6 so I'd prefer to do more straight line work. Am hoping this will also help my own fitness!!

Bernster

Visit site
PS I'll be volunteering at a couple of BE events so I get an idea of what's involved (and prob scare myself silly) and am aiming for a later event in Aug/Sept so we should have plenty of time to get fit and ready, I hope!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
PS I'll be volunteering at a couple of BE events so I get an idea of what's involved (and prob scare myself silly) and am aiming for a later event in Aug/Sept so we should have plenty of time to get fit and ready, I hope!

^^ great idea to do some volunteering, have you also been along to watch a BE80 before? I helped a friend prepare for one when they first started out a few years ago, and the support from coaches at the event was super - they had some course walking help which I encouraged her to tag along to (had the same support myself when I did a CCI* and it was mega helpful). Not sure how consistent it is but I'd say slurp up any assistance where possible! :D

ETA, assuming this is still current :

http://www.britisheventing.com/asp-...ing+the+most+of+your+Airowear+BE80(T)+Coaches

paddi22

Visit site
do you do many hunter trials or xc schooling?

From what you describe there it sounds like your training plan would benefit from more outdoor xc work. From what i see, what stresses most first time eventers on the day is the xc aspect. A common mistake people make is to do too much xc in clinics and then they freeze on the day as its psychologically very different to head out by yourself on a course that seems long. Are you used to stuff like start boxes and xc warm ups. I've had friends practise and school and then just melt as their horse got joggy in a warm up, or they tensed and got eliminated at the first jump as their horse wasn't used to leaving and going away from other horses. But thats all simple stuff you can rule out so your first event goes well. Can you get out and do some hunter trials or book in more sessions where you can set out a practice xc course with someone and do it as a trial. You want the horse to get used to different ground and hills. And to get used to an environment where there are loudspeakers, a packed warmup of people cantering past and the challenge of heading out by itself.

Fitness wise most horses are well able for a small event at a steady pace. As you say yourself just work in more interval work and write out how the breathing/distances are working out. But def make sure you are comfortable going xc and coping with warm up/startboxes/obstacles, because that what makes people freeze up the most on the day. You see people walking courses in the morning and getting so stressed it messes up their dressage and jumping cause they are tense and just dreading the xc.

But if you can happily get around a hunter trial, have done dressage and jumping shows, and the height is within your comfort zone then you will have a ball!

Bernster

Visit site
Oh wow MP that link is fab, haven't seen that before! I've just joined as an assoc member of BE so will have more of a look at the website. Have already booked onto a taster day for non members but those dedicated coaches sound amazing.

Paddi that info is fab, but I now feel a bit sick!!! I hadn't thought of that stuff at all but it makes sense that that would be the stuff that trips people up.

I like xc so we've done a bit more of that than sj or dressage, inc a couple of hunter trials and xc course hire on our own, plus he's done two riding camps. He's pretty good, steady and not fast, but not nappy. This summer we went to Hickstead showing so we had some exposure to music, tannoy and lots of activity, but we'd need more. I'm assuming the only way to do that il as you say, to do some xc type events and ultimately have a crack at an unaff ODE or two beforehand?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Don't be shy about asking for the coaches help :) they are there to help you but need to know that you are there and open to assistance ;)

I'm assuming the only way to do that il as you say, to do some xc type events and ultimately have a crack at an unaff ODE or two beforehand?

Doing some local unaff/PC ODEs would be a great idea - firstly so you can practice your warmups for each phase, see how much petrol you can use up in each and how you will manage the gap in between them (which can be half an hour or up to a couple of hours, and also to start to deal with those nerves that always creep up when you are ready to go into the start box. It's the one thing I could never mimic outside of competition - that feeling of getting your blood up and coming out of the box ready to attack the course.

Great fun though, make sure you take the time to enjoy your challenge in between all the planning and prep!

paddi22

Visit site
if you've hunter trialed and stuff before then you'l have no bother! you sound well prepared so you'l fly around!

Lanky Loll

Visit site
H&H have today published a how to get your horse fit for a BE 100: http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/feat...2-2016&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter
Not a bad place to start?
I did a couple of 80s this year on a 5yo, we didn't do any special fittening for him and he never finished tired but if we had kept him I would have got him fitter to go up a level for my benefit as much as his as he wasn't a natural galloper :)

Bernster

Visit site
Thanks LL, they obviously saw my perfectly timed thread and decided they needed to respond! But yes that looks v helpful.

I think I'm about part way between the light hack and the already competing, so upping interval training, fast work and jumping sounds right for us. Plus I have more than 12 weeks so can build up more gradually, but I tend not to ride so much myself therefore it should pan out ok overall.

Mine is a Diesel engine type, built for comfort not speed, actually that's me too - so we def need more fast work and better fitness!

Chumsmum

Visit site
Great advice from others. I also recommend doing some Combined Training or Eventer Challenge type competitions over the winter, good for getting used to doing different phases on same day. Good luck and most of all have fun xx

CrazyMare

Visit site
I like to hack mine out for much longer than you are at the moment. I tend to hack for 1-2 hours, trotting and cantering on a variety of surfaces including downhill. I find this helps them get really fit, and also learn to balance themselves so when you come to jump a fence going downhill your horse is already happy cantering downhill.

I also build arena xc fences as far as possible using barrels or single fillers to make skinnies, tarpaulins to mimic ditches, generally just get them used to jumping anything put in front of them!!

Bernster

Visit site
Great advice from others. I also recommend doing some Combined Training or Eventer Challenge type competitions over the winter, good for getting used to doing different phases on same day. Good luck and most of all have fun xx

Thanks. I'm finding it hard/time consuming to find events, as there doesn't seem to be any one good place to look. I've found a few things on the BE website but most are 80+ so need something easier for the earlier part of our prep. I have found a local ish combined training in march. Maybe I'm not looking at the right websites but it's v patchy so far!!

I like to hack mine out for much longer than you are at the moment. I tend to hack for 1-2 hours, trotting and cantering on a variety of surfaces including downhill. I find this helps them get really fit, and also learn to balance themselves so when you come to jump a fence going downhill your horse is already happy cantering downhill.

I also build arena xc fences as far as possible using barrels or single fillers to make skinnies, tarpaulins to mimic ditches, generally just get them used to jumping anything put in front of them!!

That xc knock down stuff sounds fun! I did a bit in the summer and as I do more jump lessons I can ask for some xc type fences too. I'll be starting faster work so will def build in more time and more canter work generally, thanks.

Bernster

Visit site
Best advice I can offer is ... enjoy... you will have such a buzz when you finish.

Thanks! I musn't forget that, in all my planning, prep and general stressing, that it's supposed to be fun and for a good cause too. Whatever happens I love clinics and things so it hopefully will be an action and fun packed year ahead. Fingers crossed anyway! I've already learned lots about BE events and venues which I never knew before.

Auslander

Visit site
Are there any gallops near you? It's a great way to do fast work on decent going, and you can use it for Fartlek style interval training.
Rider tip btw - when we were getting eventers fit, we used to all the trot work in two-point seat, then hop off and walk/jog the last mile home.

blackhor2e

Visit site
It's not even the end of the year yet but I'm gearing up for 2017. Horsewise this means the slightly daunting task of getting ready for the Wobbleberry Challenge and doing our first ever event. Eep.

The thought of it fills me with horror and excitement, but if I have a plan and can work my way through it gradually, I think that will stop my head from exploding.

For those in the know, could you share your fitness and training plan, or any big tips you have for a first timer please? Or point me in the right direction to read up myself?

I'll be doing clinics, course hire, unaff comps and training at home but I'd like to know what to aim for in terms of fitness in particular.

I'd say he's in lightish work at the moment - per week he's schooled 2/3 times for 45 mins (lessons/pole work), hacked 3/4 times for 45-1hr, lunged once. Will be increasing the sj work now that we have a jump saddle, and prob swap a schooling session for 1 jump session. In total ridden 5/6 days a week, sometimes twice a day if one is a hack (which is why the above doesn't add up to 5/6 in total).

I'm now going to start interval training and fast work on hacks. I don't want to do more days in the school as he's only 6 so I'd prefer to do more straight line work. Am hoping this will also help my own fitness!!

Congratulations on doing the Wobbleberry challenge. Speaking from experience you are currently doing more work than my 3* eventer who is being aimed at 4* next season so I wouldn't worry to much about doing anymore fitness. The best preparation really is getting them out and about before an event. Maybe if you have the opportunity before go and do a local BS or BD competition, but no need to go to the gallops really.

Bernster

Visit site
Are there any gallops near you? It's a great way to do fast work on decent going, and you can use it for Fartlek style interval training.
Rider tip btw - when we were getting eventers fit, we used to all the trot work in two-point seat, then hop off and walk/jog the last mile home.

Fairly locally, yes, although we have good off road hacking inc a big field with a hill on the yard so hoping to do a lot of the canter work there �� It's a good point about jogging, I'm probably less fit than he is, but yuk I don't like that advice hehe.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Great thread although it's got me feeling slightly sick!

I'm also doing the challenge and my horse is a former grade B SJer. Prior to me buying him a month ago he went round Sommerford once and had been hunting a bit. Prior to that he lived on the stud he was born on and competed up to 1m40 with various pro riders. The key here is he's done it with pro riders not a numpty rider like me.

Anyway in for a penny and all that.

So far I've had him in the loch, through lots of mud and rough tracks (don't think he's ever hacked in his life!) and taking him to the beach on Thursday.

He definitely doesn't know what galloping is but I'm just wanting to condition his legs at the moment so I'm trying to do a lot of hacking, lot of walking on roads and trotting up hills (hills are another thing I don't think he has much experience of!).

Must be mad. Wish we lived near each other we could train together!

Oh and I've started running. Eurgh!

rachk89

Visit site
Useful thread will keep an eye on this. I am wanting to do this too although training will be more on me than the horse. He could easily do 80 and bigger I however cannot.

We aren't starting til next year on the jumping anyway once I have his back muscles sorted not jumping the wonky horse.

I don't actually have a jump saddle and can't afford one either so going to be attempting this in a gpd saddle. That will make things interesting. :p

Bernster

Visit site
Congratulations on doing the Wobbleberry challenge. Speaking from experience you are currently doing more work than my 3* eventer who is being aimed at 4* next season so I wouldn't worry to much about doing anymore fitness. The best preparation really is getting them out and about before an event. Maybe if you have the opportunity before go and do a local BS or BD competition, but no need to go to the gallops really.

Whoop, we'll cruise it then! Although really we won't, both of us are a bit huffy puffy at times and F is not naturally athletic really, but with the right work I think we'll get there!

Great thread although it's got me feeling slightly sick!

I'm also doing the challenge and my horse is a former grade B SJer. Prior to me buying him a month ago he went round Sommerford once and had been hunting a bit. Prior to that he lived on the stud he was born on and competed up to 1m40 with various pro riders. The key here is he's done it with pro riders not a numpty rider like me.

Anyway in for a penny and all that.

So far I've had him in the loch, through lots of mud and rough tracks (don't think he's ever hacked in his life!) and taking him to the beach on Thursday.

He definitely doesn't know what galloping is but I'm just wanting to condition his legs at the moment so I'm trying to do a lot of hacking, lot of walking on roads and trotting up hills (hills are another thing I don't think he has much experience of!).

Must be mad. Wish we lived near each other we could train together!

Oh and I've started running. Eurgh!

Nice work on the running and yes a training partner would be awesome to get me motitivated! Lots of Wobbleberries I think are facing more of a personal or mental challenge. Sounds like your boy will fly through. Girl at my yard has a horse that has competed at novice so it seems like that should be easy, but she's just as nervous as me, so it just shows we've all got our own demons to conquer.

Useful thread will keep an eye on this. I am wanting to do this too although training will be more on me than the horse. He could easily do 80 and bigger I however cannot.

We aren't starting til next year on the jumping anyway once I have his back muscles sorted not jumping the wonky horse.

I don't actually have a jump saddle and can't afford one either so going to be attempting this in a gpd saddle. That will make things interesting. :p

Good luck! I have a dressage saddle so was not going to attempt it in that haha.

tiga71

Visit site
I am another Wobbleberry and the advice on this thread is really useful. My boy is 6 but hasn't done much. So we are aiming for Munstead in the Autumn.

I am not too worried about fitness as we are based at the foot of the South Downs so our hacking keeps my boys very fit and both do endurance.

It is the competing that I get nervous about. XC schooling is one thing but doing it on our own is what we need to do lots more of.

I'm excited but terrified at the same time.

Bernster

Visit site
I am another Wobbleberry and the advice on this thread is really useful. My boy is 6 but hasn't done much. So we are aiming for Munstead in the Autumn.

I am not too worried about fitness as we are based at the foot of the South Downs so our hacking keeps my boys very fit and both do endurance.

It is the competing that I get nervous about. XC schooling is one thing but doing it on our own is what we need to do lots more of.

I'm excited but terrified at the same time.

Ooh fab, best of luck. I might try munstead then too. Volunteering there in April and I understand they're going to try and give preference to Wobbleberry entries for the 80.

Bernster

Visit site
Are you in the SE group? We have a FB page that you can join. I am the SE rep.

Well hello there! Yes I am :) I reckon you might be able to guess from my user name on here but I will wander over there now and give you a wave. Def keen on some Munstead training, volunteering and course walking. Although there are a few venues around the same distance from me so have some options - Tweseldown, HorseHeath, Little Downham, Aston Le Wells and Munstead. Keysoe is closest but apparently probably the toughest of these.

helenchat

Visit site
Enjoy yourself !!
I think your prep definitely sounds enough, I'm doing my first BE80 next year too, but have spent this year at unaffiliated 80/90 over BE courses, so I'm planning on keeping my fitness schedule the same. One thing I found helpful was for me more than my horse, and that was doing all my canter work/ hillwork on hacks standing in my stirrups, as the first event I did I found my thighs really ached after the cross country!!
Good luck and I'm sure you will have an amazing time :)

VRIN

Visit site
If you are near Aston le walls that has a lot of events over the winter - they start at 65cm. Everyone is really friendly...

Bernster

Visit site
Enjoy yourself !!
I think your prep definitely sounds enough, I'm doing my first BE80 next year too, but have spent this year at unaffiliated 80/90 over BE courses, so I'm planning on keeping my fitness schedule the same. One thing I found helpful was for me more than my horse, and that was doing all my canter work/ hillwork on hacks standing in my stirrups, as the first event I did I found my thighs really ached after the cross country!!
Good luck and I'm sure you will have an amazing time :)

Yikes, I do feel like this may all be a bit quick. Even though we have over 6 months, going from barely any competing to doing a BE80 does feel a bit daunting. I feel a bit better reading this thread as I feel like we have got time, but it's def dawning on me just how big an ask this might be of us both. I know to some on here 80 will seem like a doddle, but us Wobblers are wobbly for a reason!

If you are near Aston le walls that has a lot of events over the winter - they start at 65cm. Everyone is really friendly...

Thanks, Aston is one of the furthest but I will check out their site too for events. There don't seem to be loads at the moment at the level I need but I think a lot of the RC/unaff events haven't all got their schedules up yet.

Bernster

Visit site
Which side of London are you? If west there are a few AE venues along the M4 :)

Howdy, I'm actually North - horse is in Herts. As for BE venues, I'm starting to get a handle on where they are, with the help of google maps. The local-ish ones seem to be 1.5hours-2 hrs I think by lorry, and taking into account the horror of the M25.

Are there any you'd add to the list (Little Downham, Aston, Tweseldown, Munstead, Keysoe, HorseHeath)?