Wolf teeth - advice please

appylass

Visit site
The thread below reminded me to ask! I have a rising 3 Highland. He had his teeth rasped before Christmas (more for the experience than because there was a problem.) He has 2 wolf teeth through and my vet said if he'd had the kit he'd have whipped them out there and then. He suggested getting them out in the spring. I read below that some are left if not causing problems. So, question is, should I have them out so that he never has problems or wait and see? My instinct is to have them out before he is even asked to work with a bit so that he doesn't have problems but then am I subjecting him to the procedure uneccessarily? Sorry if that was a bit rambling but thanks in advance for any advice.

_daisy_

Visit site
my youngster has wolf teeth and my dentist has advised me to get them taken out before I start to work her, so theyll be done next year before she is backed.

ihatework

Visit site
I had my youngsters done before he was backed. Quick and easy and far less hassle in the long run

Kate260881

Visit site
Yep, Penny had two out yesterday (thought it was one till we found another one). It really is a simple procedure even though Penny was not talking to me afterwards. I'm very lucky in that my vet has also taken all the equine dental training as well which makes me feel a lot happier.

Personally I'd get them taken out, its so simple and they are over it in no time rather than cause bit aversion problems later down the line.

pinktiger

Visit site
some may go unoticed but i always have them taken out before horse is bitted, and starts work!!!.... some people dont bel in having them taken out until they cause a problem!

appylass

Visit site
Thank you all for your advice, glad you've confirmed my gut feeling is right! You only hear of horses who have problems with them don't you so I wondered if I was being too cautious. Will arrange the deed asap, vet thought it'd be very quick and easy as he's young so has to be the best time to do at, and I trust this vet 100%. Many thanks again.

DIEGO

Visit site
are pony had hers out at ten,one had fragmented,and the gum had grown over,she must of felt like she was getting stabbed,it was quite a job getting the fragment out,are EDT is fantastic she had to be sedated,so i would definetly recomend getting them removed,she goes lovely now.

ecs

Visit site
def have them out before they cause any sort of issue, i think dental checks are very important, all the horses on our yard are checked every 6 months by and excellent equine dentist, i have known wolf teeth cause all sorts of issues from rearing to just ignorance of the bit.

appylass

Visit site
Thank you again, it's reassuring to hear your thoughts and advice. It seemed like the right thing to do before but now I feel sure. He's a little star and I just want to do right by him. I will get them done soon before I do any bitting with him, as he's slow maturing type I don't plan to do much before this autumn so he'll have all summer to forget it ever happened!