Wolf teeth

Inda

Visit site
I've just had the equine dentist out to my youngster. She has wolf teeth on the mandibular arcade. They're also in the wrong place. They're sitting on the inside of the 2nd molar on the tongue side. This puts them directly over the big palatine artery.

I'm confused about what's best, leave them and see if they bother her? Knowing that as she ages removal becomes more involved. Do I get them removed and run the increased risk of haemorrhage with the location on top of the artery?

I was planning on having her bitless when she's eventually backed, so it's not related to a biting issue, just what's best for her.

Just a bit bummed out as she's been getting treated for a sarcoid as well. Feeling like she's going to be the horse with all the issues. She's wonderful and I dote on her, I just want the best for her.

molar roller

Visit site
yes it is strange place for wolf teeth, is it appear? sometimes wolf teeth stay under gumline and when a dental tech. feels it he/she says ''your horse has a blind wolf teeth''

You will not use a bit but it can be annoying for your youngster because she gonna feel it on her tongue always. Also it might be couse of superficial wound on the tongue (it depends on the angle and how long) I would check on x-ray and understand what type of root have it. maybe it has a curve type root and in this situation operation will be more bloody and longer.
hard to say anything about ''risk of haemorrhage with the location on top of the artery'' a vet can say risks better but personally I saw a few palatine artery heamorrhage cases (it happens while diastema treatment due to spinous burrs) and no horse died

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Just had this. Indigo Sweet Memories, a 4yo Irish Draught who would NOT stop putting tongue over bit - turned out it was with good reason. I'm guessing it is the same place as yours - inside the 6s, lower jaw, and protruding slightly above the 6's. My EDT hadn't seen it before - only on the upper jaw and he said - well, I'll let you see what he said -
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

We got a vet right out to sedate him - vet DIDN'T offer to help, lol - he just stood there and watched because he hadn't seen it before either. Both removed with no disaster. He is still quite mouthy - not sue if it's habit or remembered pain - or if he's just a twit (he'd already had a 'tooth in ear' removed when he was 2 - that DID need a vet. I would NOT trust a 'normal' vet to do it TBH - I have total faith in my EDT - thankfully. Otherwise he would have had to go to an Equine dental vet - the one who removed his 'tooth in ear'.

You can see the removal too:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Inda

Visit site
I don't trust my equine vet with teeth in any way, it would be a dental vet to do it. Medically I tend to treat her myself before getting the equine vet out, but I don't want go down anything surgical with her. I know there is a dental guy in the area.

From hazy anatomy lessons the palatine artery is pretty juicy in the horse