Wondering about kissing spines

Melody Grey

Visit site
Hi folks,

Will try to keep this brief...

My 6 y.o ex racer has been with me since Easter and was not long out of racing. She's come on no end in this time- massive weight gain (about 60kg we think), really building condition and top line etc.

We have had issues over the past 6 weeks or so which I think are pain related- she bucked me off quite badly a couple of times, have had her back checked by vet and Physio, have had saddle checked and re-fitted and teeth done last month. She's a nice girl, a real sweetie in fact so I'd struggle to believe this is behavioural.

So both the physio and the saddle fitter confirmed that the huge weight gain had given cause for pain due to the saddle not fitting any more (feel a numpty for not having thought of this sooner!). I've gradually brought the horse back into light work and she's still not happy under saddle, but much better lunged without rider. Walk is ok ridden, but anything more and there is tail swishing, head in the air etc. she is sound- trotted up beautifully for the vet.

So basically, my question is; would you have checks done again or cut to the chase and get her back x-rayed (or anything else for that matter?!). At £80 a throw for Physio and saddle fitter, I'm wondering whether it would be better to just put this towards x-Ray?

Can kissing spines be exacerbated by the horse muscling up?

Mince pie for any of you lively people who got this far!! :)

Melody Grey

Visit site
Thank you- yes this is too something I've talked to our vet about. She said that she'd be less likely to be suffering them now then when she was in training with our routine here and feeding regime etc., but not to rule them out obviously. A few others have suggested they think ulcers are unlikely given how much weight and condition she's managed to put on in a short time. It's definitely another avenue to consider though so thanks :) mince pie for you L&M!!

wench

Visit site
Could be any number of things.

Might be worth just lunging her over xmas/doing some groundwork, then reassing after xmas, as realistically, your not going to be able to book anything to be checked now.

Personally in your situation I'd be looking at getting a thermal imaging scan done before anything else.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Thanks for all of your replies, we're off to horspital in the morning hopefully (crosses fingers) for some answers.

Wish us luck! :)

Melody Grey

Visit site
To be completely honest BB, I'm not entirely sure. I think back x-rays are the intended starting point, presumably after the vet has seen her work (been asked to take tack and really not relishing having to get back on again!!). I would imagine scoping for ulcers might come a close second if the x ray reveals nothing? Will let you know how we get on...

bollybop

Visit site
Have they asked you to starve her? If so they may want to scope, if not they may ask for her to stay in.

Don't let them pressure you into riding it you feel you will get launched into space

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Thank you- yes this is too something I've talked to our vet about. She said that she'd be less likely to be suffering them now then when she was in training with our routine here and feeding regime etc., but not to rule them out obviously. A few others have suggested they think ulcers are unlikely given how much weight and condition she's managed to put on in a short time. It's definitely another avenue to consider though so thanks :) mince pie for you L&M!!

My friends good doer cob has recently been diagnosed with grade two ulcers, he was getting more spooky than normal and started bronzing with her which is totally not him so don't rule then out because of the weight gain.

Our ex race lost weight with his grade two ulcers but he had tape work infection as well. His only symptoms was lack of energy and weight loss, no hyperness, bucking etc.

If you are insured I would have a work up done to include back X-rays first then if that's clear move on yo ulcers.

It could also be something as simple as soreness from the saddle pinching, how long has it been since it was refitted?

Just seen the dates, rely shouldn't reply when half asleep! Hope it goes okay.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Have they asked you to starve her? If so they may want to scope, if not they may ask for her to stay in.

Don't let them pressure you into riding it you feel you will get launched into space

No, we've not been asked to starve her, but equally the clinic wouldn't be beholden to any discharge time or day when I quizzed them on it, so possibly they have scoping planned for another day if deemed necessary.

Yes, I'm thinking I don't really fancy riding tomorrow. Apparently one of the nurses at the practice rides for lameness clinics- have cleaned tack especially and removed sheepskin seat saver for her- hope she appreciates it!!

Melody Grey

Visit site
Slightly confused- our yard is very through with worm counts and worming policy so I'd be surprised if worms were an issue.... But a possibility to consider nonetheless (as seems absolutely everything else at the moment!!).

I've brought her back into work since saddle fitting and Physio and still no improvement. The anxiety has gone in walk when ridden, but just explodes and gets stressy when trying to do anything else.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Update: we spent yesterday at horspital and (drum-roll please) ..... Melody has kissing spines; two areas of severe impingement under the saddle area which the vet feels are definitely significant enough to be causing our problems.

She has been given steroid injections, 5 days box rest, 1 week lunging, 1 week riding (improvement and bravery permitting) and then we're back for follow up x-rays and then onto surgery if an improvement has been seen.

Not the best news in the world, but I had suspected this for some time and prepared myself for the absolute worst, so on the plus side, we know what we're dealing with now, it's operable and absolutely no other problems were found (in fact they remarked on her improvement in condition/muscle tone and beautiful movement) so overall we're feeling positive.

Trust your instincts kids! Will update as we go for the info of anyone else in a similar position.

frostyfingers

Visit site
Do have a look at this article - it's informative without being too scary. http://www.cottsequine.co.uk/equine...eries/standing-kissing-spines-operation.shtml. My horse has had the ISLD surgery as his problem was too extensive for the traditional surgery and the steroids wore off quite quickly. He was diagnosed in 2012 and had steroids then operated on in Summer 2013 and with lots of physio input and work from me is looking better than ever. He completed 16 days hunting last season and has done 14 so far this season - it may not last for ever but I've had more time than his initial diagnosis predicted "prognosis for continued athletic career is guarded", so I consider myself lucky. He's not in pain which is the main thing.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Thankyou Frostyfingers- a really informative article. The ISLD procedure is certainly good food for thought although from our consultation yesterday, it seems our vet is recommending the full surgery. My initial reaction is the same- I'm not convinced the ISLD procedure is an ultimate solution, but very glad to hear your boy is doing rather well as a result!!

frostyfingers

Visit site
Absolutely, we started with the least invasive option which unfortunately didn't last long but the surgery really wasn't too bad - standing surgery, 6 incisions and then he was "box rested" in a pen in the field with his mates for 2 weeks with walking out twice a day and after his 8 week check I was allowed back on board. There's a way to go before you need to consider surgery, with luck the steroids and phyio/rehab will get you where you need to be, but don't panic if it is suggested.