Woo! and another low point!

Skhosu

Visit site
Well my sister has found her new horse. a bit unfit, but has won a couple of 3"3 events and although a little green, very nice and honest. Forward but not psycho and a lovely looking little coloured mare (16hh). Will put some pictures up shortly I hope, although she has very little topline despite working well on the flat
confused.gif

She vetted today and passed with flying colours, a little bit of joint effusion (sp?) which is apparently nothing to worry about. She is a right little madam though, tried to kick the vet during flexion tests but once I put a hand on her (and had words!) rather than little sister tentatively holding the lead rope, she was ok. Just need t ensure she has manners I think!
On the other hand, whilst at the vet got my big lad checked out. Thankfully his nose cleared up today (he obviously heard he was going to have to get injections) but was still not quite sound. Took him down, and he's throwing up a splint. Not too large, but still a bit sore. Has to have a week off so that's another 2 events out the window and a raving lunatic horse for me to ride when he comes back into work!
So...what does anybody else do with splints? It's not terribly large but did I read about someting that could help keep them small/reduce them?
Fingers crossed his nose is gone for good, otherwise it's twice daily injections for 5 days which would be the worst nightmare!

SillyMare

Visit site
Splints don't matter unless you are going to show him. If he is not lame then I wouldn't worry.

There are some things you can put on that are supposed to reduce them, but I am a bit sceptical (splints naturally get smaller with time anyway).

You could cold-hose if there is heat in it. Oh, and if he goes lame when you start bringing him back he will need a longer rest to make sure it has settled (otherwise it will just reccur).

Skhosu

Visit site
He is lame! That's the only reason i'm concerned (couldn't show him anyway..he has at least 3 huge bumps on each back leg so yeah!
laugh.gif
)
If he isn't sound after a weeks rest( having already been box rested for a week) he'll be going back to check there's nothing else there you know?Thanks D+D!