wood pellets (pricing) or alternative

Polos Mum

Visit site
I usually buy a pallet of wood pellets at this time of year to see me though the winter (not stock piling just practical to have a years worth of bedding delivered in one go).

Am I naïve in expecting prices to come down from the current c.£400 a pallet (usually £260) before winter?

I've left it a few months later than normal but want to do my stable spring jet washing and that means 4 x 6 new bags which I don't have.

I can't get good quality straw here - stocking a years worth of shavings would require a new barn to be built! are straw pellets any good? or as I feed straw would they just eat them?

QuantockHills

Visit site
if you search for wood pellets on here, there's loads of advice on a few threads that have been started recently... the price for wood pellets in my area has almost doubled so i've been looking at straw pellets instead....

holeymoley

Visit site
I think its a mixture of fuel prices and that they are imported from abroad. So until all of that’s sorted I highly doubt they’ll come down in price unfortunately. Straw pellets are okay, they’re darker than wood and some horses eat them. I tried them once and preferred the wood pellets. No help at all I’m afraid, I’m back on plain old straw.

eggs

Visit site
I've just ordered some miscanthus pellets to see how I get on with them. I usually use wood pellets and tried straw pellets a few years ago but whilst they are darker and didn't look so nice to my eye (although I am sure the horses didn't care) I did mind that some of the horses really tried to tuck into them so they were not a success for me.

Polos Mum

Visit site
I've just ordered some miscanthus pellets to see how I get on with them. I usually use wood pellets and tried straw pellets a few years ago but whilst they are darker and didn't look so nice to my eye (although I am sure the horses didn't care) I did mind that some of the horses really tried to tuck into them so they were not a success for me.

Thanks Eggs, how does it compare in price?

Polos Mum

Visit site
Just had a look and it looks like £380 for the cheapest so only £20 cheaper than the wood pellets (which I know I like for mucking out)

Looks like I'm going to have to suck it up !

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Just had a look and it looks like £380 for the cheapest so only £20 cheaper than the wood pellets (which I know I like for mucking out)

Looks like I'm going to have to suck it up !

When I compared miscanthus and straw pellets to the cost of wood pellets there wasn’t much difference in price. My cleaner horse I’m probably going to go back onto soft chip and my messy one can finish up the 19 bags of wood pellets I still have and I won’t be doing a full summer clean out as it’s just too expensive.