Woodchip arenas

Bossanova

Visit site
As much as I hate them, the livery yard where Moon now is has a woodchip surface. Rode in it a couple of days ago and realised basically anything other than a walk has to be done at one end of the school and I could already feel her movement suffering. Went in there again yesterday and the poor little thing (who incidentally has exceptional balance) hit a deep spot when we were cantering and went splat on her side- thankfully throwing me clear.

So how do I solve this problem? It doesnt seem overly deep on the whole- there is a massive trench where most people ride which I plan to smooth over but dont really know what else I should try to do to improve it. If I cant then shall have to rely on the already pretty wet fields (or move yards....)
mad.gif

pottamus

Visit site
I would advise against damping it down as it gets even more slippery then. Someone I know has one and you put your life at risk if you try to canter on it. I have used it in the past a bit and my horse got better over time but still stuck to walk and trot. Not much help but short of mixing another material in with it, not sure really. How would sand mix in with it?

beaconhorse

Visit site
I left my old yard because of a woodchip surface, it got worse during the winter, to the point it was slippery in trot canter was just too dangerous to consider. Horrid when it freezes too

Bossanova

Visit site
Oh dear, that depresses me!!!
The yard is so lovely apart from the arena and I'm not sure she'd take the stress of moving too well.... looks like a winter of schooling in the field for me unless I can persuade them to sort it out
crazy.gif

druid

Visit site
Mine's the same as JM's and has just been extended to 30m x 65m - (owner practising long arena tests!) with the sand it's never slippy and hasn't ever frozen? Does get a bit deep in tmes of serious rain.

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
My indoor is cushionride (woodchip) it has been down about four years . is not too deep and is actually quite nice to ride on. A friend of mine has just installed a cushionride surface on an outdoor school and it is reaaaaallly deep at the moment - yours may settle down too.

Edited to say: btw Boss is that you in Horse magazine?????

beaconhorse

Visit site
sorry did not mean to depress you, I put up with it for nearly12 months, Then I noticed my lad was no longer going forwards properly and the surface got worse as it got older owner eventually topped it up with the same stuff BUT that made it worse as the new stuff slipped on top of the old.

My horse lost his confidence more ane more so I left. best thing I did ttoo, he is once again going forward and happy, but it took months and months to gain his confidence again

Bossanova

Visit site
Thats what I dont want happening. She isnt the most extravagant mover by any means but she was really starting to track up and free herself up at home but I feel like already thats going as she isnt trusting the surface

frannieuk

Visit site
I have woodchip, its very old and has started to degrade so its not slippery but is very deep and the membrane keeps coming up in places - if I ever get to have my own yard etc I will NOT go for woodchip, hate it! Currently negotiating with the YO about topping it up...things not looking promising
frown.gif

ETS sorry, this doesn't really help with any suggestions for yours!

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
I would dig down to see how deep the surface actually is then add some sand to stabilise it. you may need to remove some of the depth first. We had woodchip in the indoor school mixed with sand and eventually is disintegrated so we replaced it with sand and rubber.
I would say move the horse as it will settle eventually rather than risk such a talented prospect damaging herself. It does sound as if the whole surface needs renewing, and the strain on their joints when that happens is phenomenal..

icestationzebra

Visit site
Sorry to hear she had a fall - hope your both ok? I moved my mare from a yard with a woodchip arena as she fell on the lunge one evening and I decided I couldn't risk her any longer. It was awful to ride in and she had no grip at all. Her movement suffered as a result..... sorry I don't have more positive views
crazy.gif

Bossanova

Visit site
Thanks everyone- has a chat to YO and she went and levelled it before I rode so I braved it and it was much improved although I'm not going to risk it longterm. Actually think it will do her good to school in the fields, going to keep a lookout for other yards but I'm not keen on moving for the moment.