Wooden fence eating

peanut

Visit site
Short of putting electric fencing (posts/tape/energiser variety) around the entire circumference of my paddock, has anyone managed to stop their horse from eating wood fencing please?

Is there anything I can paint on it (I would need quite a lot!).

Any ideas gratefully received.

Petalpoos

Visit site
If you already have posts holding up the wooden fence, could you not just run electric tape all the way around the top and connect it? Or does your horse chew lower down rails as well?

peanut

Visit site
I will have a look at cribox, thank you. Maybe if I put some on the worst places she'll think it is everywhere!

StableMum

Visit site
Creosote is the only thing that worked for us, but it's not easy to get hold of. The substitute creocote did nothing, nor the special stock fence paint that's supposed to deter chewing.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Creosote or new version, mixed with old used engine oil (60/70% creocote to 30/40% oil) brushed on the fence when the wood is dry.
Then add the thin electric wire on the round screw in holders onto the top rail. This stopped just about everything eating fences. Good luck!

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Thank you for the reply but she is only fed on fibre and has hay ad lib. There's no indication to suggest she has ulcers. :)

Wood biting is one of the signs of ulcers - mine did it & he had them - only a suggestion as its always looking outside of the box with horses ie not just treating the symptoms but the cause !

Asha

Visit site
Creosote is the only thing that worked for us, but it's not easy to get hold of. The substitute creocote did nothing, nor the special stock fence paint that's supposed to deter chewing.

We sell both Creosote and creocote. People who tried the creocote have now gone back to creosote. As others have said, the good stuff is getting harder to get hold of, and getting more expensive. Theres another price increase due to raw material shortage coming in January.

Creocote is at the back of the warehouse covered in dust..

Girlracer

Visit site
I have this problem with my two horses. They are both fed a high forage diet, with high fibre feed twice a day. They have a multi vitamin supplement, garlic and a gut supplement. They have both been treated for ulcers (and re scoped clear later on) and managed as well as I can for gut health. And they still do it! :( They don't bother with any other type of wood except for the fence posts....... I have now had to start putting an internal electric fence up.