wooden legs for neds.

Fairynuff

Visit site
Been on the American "The Horse" site and was fascinated to read that they have been successful in amputating fronts and hinds .They have managed to send stallions back to stud duties, mares to become broodmares and others to a life bumbling about in a field. What really amazed me was how they treated the stump! In order to fit a false limb they have to ensure that the stump is strong enough and hard enough to cope with the weight put on it, so, they graft some frog cells (hoof frog) on to the fresh stump wound. It takes very quickly and a new frog developes on the stump giving a good surface on which to bear the new leg!!!!! Isnt that amazing? They did say that the frog has to be trimmed every so often and to do so the horse has to be slinged, learn to stand on three legs or be trained to lie down while adjustments were made. Wow!!! Mairi.

lordflynn

Visit site
Its a great mag but wish they would get it together to send me my hard copies! dont think much of their customer services.
A horse over here had a prosthetic leg (from below knee) fitted and he was doing well but that was a few years ago.

Ash the arab

Visit site
I think you must mean a horse that is local to me - a spotted horse?
I don't know the horse or owner, but have heard that it hasn't got a great quality of life.
It is kept in a very small turnout area and has to have dressings changed daily. But this is only what i have heard - I MAY BE WRONG!!

GTs

Visit site
I just think it is excessive - considering there are people who can not afford prosthetics, and a horse gets a 5 figure procedure so it can eat grass and hobble around??

lordflynn

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I just think it is excessive - considering there are people who can not afford prosthetics, and a horse gets a 5 figure procedure so it can eat grass and hobble around??

[/ QUOTE ]

is one taking from the other though? not saying I am a big fan but not really getting that particular principle.

lordflynn

Visit site
yes, thats the one. Its all down to quality of life isnt it? its generally pretty easy I think, to tell if a horse is unhappy-they're not generally as stoical as say, dogs and physically alot more 'fragile' for lack of a better word.
I have mixed feelings about it and have no experience of it. I used to get bloomin' annoyed at people who use to want their cats/dogs PTS rather than have an amputation though. They always objected on the basis that 'they didnt want to see it'!
mad.gif

So if the horse is happy and the owners have the commitment I wouldnt like to judge (not saying you are btw)

GTs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

is one taking from the other though? not saying I am a big fan but not really getting that particular principle.

[/ QUOTE ]

No I do not think one is taking from the other - however I wish people cared more about eachother........

lordflynn

Visit site
aaaw, GTs, who knew you cared so much!
grin.gif

wrt horses and 'wooden' legs its one of those things that will get better the more its done, in the same way as colic surgery etc etc

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
[ QUOTE ]
I think you must mean a horse that is local to me - a spotted horse?
I don't know the horse or owner, but have heard that it hasn't got a great quality of life.
It is kept in a very small turnout area and has to have dressings changed daily. But this is only what i have heard - I MAY BE WRONG!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah, yes, I've seen that horse (not in RL! Just photos). Course, at the time I read about it, they went on and on about how happy he was...
I suppose it does depend on the horse. I think PF would go spare if she couldn't bomb around...
Didn't the spotty horse have a sort of metal leg that had a bit of a bend to make it springy?