Work experience with Sharon Hunt

[59668]

Visit site
I know a few people who worked for her. I think you need to be prepared to hear things put very straight to the point and to work hard.

hcm88

Visit site
I don't know her personally, but like any professional you'll need to be prepared to work hard - things are done to tip top perfect standard on yards like that. You'll be asked to do the jobs people don't really want to be doing (e.g sweeping yard/skipping out/sorting out tack room/cleaning tack).

Years ago I did work experience on an event yard and it was great in that I could ride some fab horses and get a glimpse of what a top yard is like, but you really are the bottom of the hierarchy!

Unless you want to go into the equestrian world for a career late then I suggest doing work experience somewhere non-horsey e.g shop or office, work experience as a groom isn't great on a CV.

Ladyinred

Visit site
I know someone who did and it was certainly no bed of roses. Although she is an excellent rider she was allowed to ride very rarely and didn't stay long. The girl is a real worker, she just didn't like the attitudes.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Is she based in West Yorks? (I'm sure she is, just don't know if she's moved) I know friends nthat are friends with her, and obviously like her :) But I think working on any pros yard is difficult and it depends whether you can get on with their way of working.

My friend has worked on a pros yard, and learnt a lot, but I know others who just could not cope with the level of work and left smartish - I think thats what it boils down to, you may think you're a hard worker, but until you are thrown into the fire you don't know :)

I did my school work experience at a great local riding school and had a blast, but if you're looking for later on work experience an eventers yard would be good. I did work experience as a student with the people that train all the animals for harry potter, as well as lots of other films, and had a great time - even got to go on set a few times :D

Last edited:

smiffyimp

Visit site
She's bury st Edmunds based, she moved back from the Cotswolds I believe. I too have heard she can be difficult to work for but as I never have, it's all hearsay

Trolt

Visit site
Sharon has a VERY high staff turnover. I think that is quite telling.

If you're looking for work experience with an eventer, around Bury St Edmunds way then you could contact Richard Ames. He has a yard and his daughter Marianne Ames events (to 3*, I think she's done a few 4*s), they have an Irish rider there too; Pip Peters. She's been won bronze with the Irish junior eventing team a few years back and is Flint Curtis' current rider.

Marianne and Pip are lovely people, I know their staff and they all enjoy working with them. Lots of opportunities to ride, they take their staff hunting, some of their staff even compete for them. Staff all very positive, and just seems a really nice yard.

DragonSlayer

Visit site
I think if I was going to be able to work alongside and pick up valuable information from someone who has actually WON OLYMPIC MEDALS alongside other notable successes...I'd be going and making my own mind up, rather than listen to gossip, as I have fallen foul of that myself a while ago.

Hard work never hurt anyone, you get out what you put into it.

At least go and check the place out and talk to the woman in question yourself, then make up your mind.

doratheexplorer

Visit site
I have met Sharon a few times, and she has only ever been chatty and nice.

You don't get to the top in any sport without making some enemies/bad decisions and certainly without and hard work.

Your best bet is to go and have a look around and see what the deal is, then make up your own mind!!

Cyberchick

Visit site
I don't know what she is like to work for personally but I would agree with the other posters that say you really need to make your own mind up. I have worked for a top showjumper who had a few grooms who had been with him for years, I couldn't stand it, he was awful. A point to point yard was very similar, however, I have also worked for people that are renowned for being down right awkward and rude, I never had a problem at all and worked for them for years. I was made redundant recently from a 'proper' job and have gone back to work for them whilst i'm looking so it really is a case of what suits one doesn't suit another.

Daytona

Visit site
Don't know her or anyone to of worked for her, but sounds like a amazing opportunity and nothing wrong with a bit of hard work, you not there to be "thanked" for it , you get paid to do it. If horses is the career you looking for then I'd be biting her hand off for the chance. If you get your head down and work hard I'm sure she will be pleasant towards you. Most bosses appreciate a grafter....!!!!! Good luck :)

Suechoccy

Visit site
Agree - go for the opportunity, graft hard, learn well and then in a few years' time be proud that you can look back on your horsey cv and have that listed as one of your experiences. it will stand you in good stead for any other future horsey positions you go for.

Marydoll

Visit site
I think if I was going to be able to work alongside and pick up valuable information from someone who has actually WON OLYMPIC MEDALS alongside other notable successes...I'd be going and making my own mind up, rather than listen to gossip, as I have fallen foul of that myself a while ago.

Hard work never hurt anyone, you get out what you put into it.

At least go and check the place out and talk to the woman in question yourself, then make up your mind.

This is good advice

Cyberchick

Visit site
I had a friend that did work experience with her at Bedgebury - it was very hard work, for very little 'thanks'.
Also there was allegedly a big problem with ringworm.

On any professional yard it is 'hard work'. That is what is expected of you, and as for ringworm, it's just part and parcel of horses coming and going. Happens an awful lot on racing yards.

dingle12

Visit site
Working on a top yard is hard work and long hours. but you learn alot,meet alot of people and travel alot. Been a groom is hard work and you dont get alot of thanks but seeing ur horse doing well and looking well is all the thanks you need. Take the chance and see if you like it you can always leave.

Luci07

Visit site
Though, quite frankly, if I was Sharon Hunt and seen how a potential employee was discussing me I think I would be inclined to look elsewhere! Would think she could easily work out who was asking

And again guys, really INCREDIBLY unfair to pass unpleasant and pretty much third hand gossip about a public figure who can't respond! And just for the record I dont know her or anyone connected to her either!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Oh come on, this is HHO, of course people want to slag off someone they know through a friend, of a friends or repeat something they overheard in a tent :rolleyes:

MissTyc

Visit site
Actually the potential employee only asked whether anyone knew what it was like?

If the potential employee, after reading such off putting comments, is mature enough to realise that in life not everything is set in stone and still takes up the position, then surely this would only be a good reflection. In the age of the internet, nothing and no one is safe from gossip - up to the readers to learn what to do with the information!

kirstyl

Visit site
This is work experience? Well get in there and go for it. You know it's not for ever so gain whatever you can from working there and then decide what you want to do. I did my work experience training for AI working for a very well known showjumper, now columnist. Absolute s**t, worked me every hour he could for the 3 weeks (just before Xmas), left me in sole charge of the whole yard while he and his groom went off to lots of shows and I didn't get a thank you at the end. It did make me realise at 17 that I would never ever work for him again and it did put me off showjumping but did give me an awfully big insight into the professional horsey world that was invaluable

DragonSlayer

Visit site
I had a friend that did work experience with her at Bedgebury - it was very hard work, for very little 'thanks'.
Also there was allegedly a big problem with ringworm.

And? Lots of big yards can go through periods of illness/viruses etc etc....I work in a school, and share every bug going, it happens.

Though, quite frankly, if I was Sharon Hunt and seen how a potential employee was discussing me I think I would be inclined to look elsewhere! Would think she could easily work out who was asking

And again guys, really INCREDIBLY unfair to pass unpleasant and pretty much third hand gossip about a public figure who can't respond! And just for the record I dont know her or anyone connected to her either!

I quite agree, as I said, OP needs to go check it out herself. I think it's an amazing oppotunity for someone to do, I mean..OLYMPIC MEDALS!! How many posters on this forum have those? I have a few rosettes, a little trophy and a medal....does that count?? Of course not! This woman is at the top of her game and I enjoy watching her progress and reading her website. Never met her, would love to.

Oh come on, this is HHO, of course people want to slag off someone they know through a friend, of a friends or repeat something they overheard in a tent :rolleyes:

~snorts!~ How true....:D

Shazzababs

Visit site
I know someone who worked for her at Bedgebury.

She had previously worked on racing yards and fancied a change of scene. She went with the attitude of 'I know nothing' and was prepared to re-learn everything to meet the Boss's requirements.

She really enjoyed it, her riding came on exponentially, although as with any horsey job it was really hard work for pretty basic wages. She was invited to relocate with the yard, but chose not to for family reasons.

Dirtymare

Visit site
She's bury st Edmunds based, she moved back from the Cotswolds I believe. I too have heard she can be difficult to work for but as I never have, it's all hearsay

I dont think she is Bury St Edmunds based anymore.
I have liveried on a yard run by an ex employee of Sharon's. The yard was run like clockwork and all liveries cared for well. Which to my mind is a great complement to Sharon and her training.