Working an in-foal mare?

rcm_73

Visit site
As its a good eleven years since I had a mare in-foal I can't remember how long can a mare be worked during pregnancy? When I say work I mean a few days hacking a week and the odd day of say 20mins schooling / jumping ( no more than 3ft) and carrying a lightweight rider for her size. Our last mare was a driving cob and I think she was in work til about four months before. Also after the last covering is there any length of time you should leave her before she is worked again?
Thanks in advance.

destiny11

Visit site
I gave my mare six weeks off after her last covering. Then rode her, did some showing etc. Finally stopped riding her at the xmas, four and a half months before she was due. I guess it is different with each mare though for how long you can ride them. I just don't think it is good too ride them after they have less than three months to go.

CrazyMare

Visit site
I gave mine a month off aftere her covering, then started hacking and doing light schooling. Didn't jump her though. I rode her til October and she foaled in April, I could have ridden her longer if I'd been able to give her a small clip but she grows a thick pony coat and needs sedating to be clipped