Working hunter with a gypsy cob?

Ozbride

Visit site
Hi. There is a local working hunter competition coming up and I'd love to give it a go. Only thing is I'm an adult on a 13hh very hairy gypsy cob. Can anyone tell me what to wear and how to turn out my pony? I haven't done working hunter in about 30years. Also what should I do for the individual show? Thanks so much for helping a middle aged woman have fun on her pony ??

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
If his mane is full leave it that way. Same as tail. Assuming he also has full feathers so leave those. Perhaps trim his beard unless you don't want to, it is only a local show!! Tweed jacket with shirt and tie. Long boots and cream/ beige jods. Gloves. For jumping you can have a martingale and your pony can wear boots but these must be removed for your show. You just need to show trot and canter on both reins. A gallop would be great on the Longside but if your not confident to do it it won't matter too much. Just don't gallop behind the line up. Keep your show short and sweet so you don't bore the judges. It used to be that only the clear rounds went through to the show part, not sure if its the same at local level. Sometimes you may be asked to trot up without the saddle but again probably not at local level. Enjoy and have fun and let us know how you got on!!

Ozbride

Visit site
If his mane is full leave it that way. Same as tail. Assuming he also has full feathers so leave those. Perhaps trim his beard unless you don't want to, it is only a local show!! Tweed jacket with shirt and tie. Long boots and cream/ beige jods. Gloves. For jumping you can have a martingale and your pony can wear boots but these must be removed for your show. You just need to show trot and canter on both reins. A gallop would be great on the Longside but if your not confident to do it it won't matter too much. Just don't gallop behind the line up. Keep your show short and sweet so you don't bore the judges. It used to be that only the clear rounds went through to the show part, not sure if its the same at local level. Sometimes you may be asked to trot up without the saddle but again probably not at local level. Enjoy and have fun and let us know how you got on!!
Thank you for all the info ☺️

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

This^^^^^
But at a local show there probably won't be enough clears for all the places, so it is most likely that you will be asked back in, unless you were eliminated in the jumping phase.