Working Liveries.....

Parkranger

Visit site
Audrey's post below got me thinking - how many of you have horses/ponies on working livery....is it through choice or to help with costs?

I've noticed since being back that alot of people put their horses on working livery and wasn't sure if it was a relatively new thing....

_jetset_

Visit site
I have my horse on DIY and wouldn't consider working livery for Hannah because I have put quite a lot of work into her education and sometimes she gets away with things once and thinks she can do it every time.

It depends whether you want other people riding your horse or not really... I don't mind people I know riding Hannah but I am not sure I would like novices to ride her.

Rebecca

P.S. This is just my opinion... I do know people who have had their horses on full livery and they have been absolutely fine!

charlottenicol

www.allt-na-craig.co.uk
Used to have a horse on loan on a working livery, but she was never available when i was wanting to ride, so now have my own, we have a hotel so summer is really busy and we now let him out on the occassional trail when I know I wont get a chance to ride, so that works for me now, so he is fit and around when I am.

Parkranger

Visit site
I'm just interested as sometimes I think I'm too unneccesarily protective when he'd probably benefit from more people riding him. I'd say there's only 3 people at my yard who I'd allow to ride him.......

teapot

Visit site
I've seen it work for some and not work for others.

Have known horses who have improved from being used in lessons etc and some horses who just don't enjoy it.

have you thought about a sharer?

Parkranger

Visit site
Have but ruled it out - I work my a**e off to have Ty, so I want to ride him when I want to ride him and don't want anyone else sticking their nose in.

There's some good riders on my yard, one of which cannot ride her mare any more as she's retired and I'm happy for her to ride if I can't.

I need a 'throws toys out of pram and stamps' icon! x

teapot

Visit site
g020.gif
- closest I could get

PM me if you want - worked on a yard that had the majority of horses on WL

Puppy

Visit site
I'd never put Star on working livery *shudders at the thought* she would hate it, and so would I for that matter.

In fact, I'd never put her on full livery as she'd hate it - she doesn't like strangers..... well, she rather enjoys scaring them!
grin.gif

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
I have my horse only on part working livery, so normally only experienced people ride her and its not a huge amount. I don't allow novices on her, no way! It just helps a little bit with her fitness, but gives me plenty of time with her and the bonus is its cheaper but that is the last reason.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Had my mare on working livery for a while, don't think it did her any harm, but her schooling was already established. I had to put her on working livery as sharer gave up and job I had at the time didn't permit me to DIY due to hours, or full livery due to pay. I now have her on DIY, with a trusted friend doing her on when I'm on shift. I would be reluctant to put her back on working livery, because I found out a lot of things once I left!!!!!
mad.gif

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I am on DIY, I like to look after my boy myself. He has been on full livery occasionaly if I have been away but that is rare. Working Livery, as I understand it, is if you keep your horse at a riding school & allow him to be used in the school. I appreciate this may make financial sense to some owners but I couldn't do it to my boy. I'm sure there are some good riders having lessons at riding schools but the majority I've seen are novices. The constant nagging with legs down his flanks & pulling in the mouth to turn him would annoy him so much. It would also undo the work I have done with him over the years. No, I could never let this happen.

Lobelia_Overhill

www.mymiscellanyhome.net
Depends on the horse and the place - the mare I owned way back (that's her in my av) wasn't suitable for other people to ride, although the owner of the place started "borrowing" her for the Working Pupils to ride (without my knowledge or consent!) I didn't mind too much cos it meant she was schooled for free LOL and it showed the owner that my mare wasn't 'resisting' at every transition, she was a terrible head shaker!

eahotson

Visit site
Working livery CAN be good. Depends where you keep it and what you want from the deal. I had one horse on working livery but to be honest didn't suit but I think in part I lost trust in the YO and the care wasn't up to standard either.I found another place where I might have considered it but they wanted 14 hours a week and wouldn't consider more money/less hours. The facilities/instructor there were very good and care EXCELLENT.Couldn't afford full livery there though and they didn't do DIY.Find it hard to find the ideal livery yard!

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
I used to keep an old horse of mine on working livery at the riding school where I was working at the time. It was totally down to cost. But the good thing was that my horse was a litte sharp to say the least and very few clients ever wanted to ride him so he only ever got used once or twice a week.

marmite

Visit site
I used to work at a yard who had some working liveries it was a riding centre BUT the full liveries and DIY'S would go away on holiday and the YO would take her horses on holiday and put the livery horses into the school.
They never knew this was going to happen she did it behind there backs and we were told to keep our mouths shut hense the reason no horse of mine would ever go on working livery.

wench

Visit site
I have a horse on working livery - but the place is very good. He is mainly just used for hacking so no kicking and pulling at his mouth. He is used for the odd lesson, but only for a few hours a week. I think it helps with his fitness, and certainly doesnt do him any harm having different people riding him. Hes only a hack, and not some top level show jumper or dressage horse.

If he was a top s/j or dressage, I would probably think differently. As to if I was on a different yard. For example another riding school down the road just do lessons, and not many hacks as roads are to busy. I would never have him on working livery in a place like that.

As it is, I am very fortunante where he is being kept.