working livery?

buttons

New User
uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com
I'm thinking of putting my horse on working livery due to work comittments and lack of time for him. I can only manage to ride him twice a week at the mo. Does anyone else have their horse on working livery? If not/so all opinions good or bad would be good!

dunc_n_toby

Visit site
is it a riding school? how often would they be rding your fella?
It would depend on his age and whether he could be spoilt, would it be for hacking out or in lessons?
I sometimes let me horse be used by the ridign school but only the clients I know are up to it!

SillyMare

Visit site
Have you thought about finding a sharer?

At least that way you could look around for someone you get on with and it would be the same person riding him all the time.

eahotson

Visit site
Depends on the establishment. It can work very well. Try for a flexible arrangement that leaves you some say. You may have to pay a bit more. Most schools say 2 hours a day you may want only 1 hour a day for example. Also try for an establishment that does some hacking out as well and make it part of the agreement that he does some hacking as well as school work.

buttons

New User
uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com
yeah it is a riding school. I keep my horse somewhere else at the mo but its quite popular option there, they apparnetly pride themselves on having a strict policy of not allowing any horse or pony to do more than a set number of hours, keeping them fresh and interested. Sounds promising.

buttons

New User
uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com
yeah i have, its been quite difficult in finding someone who is flexible and can ride him in the week. I do shift work so its quite important. This riding school has excellent facilities and good reputation ahich is appealing.

dunc_n_toby

Visit site
Why not speak to someone else who has thiers on working livery? You'd need to specify when you wanted to ride him cos the last thing you want is for him to be being used when you want to ride him. Also check whether he'd be covered uner thier insurance should anything happen to him or the jockey?

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
My horses both used to be on working livery, and although it worked quite well, i struggled to get used to people I didn't like riding them. It wasn't that the riders did anything in particular, they were just people I didn't happen to like.

teapot

Visit site
Really depends on the yard itself and its management. A lot of my lessons are on working livery horses.

It can work very very well if done properly

Rosyryan

Visit site
I agree great if it works---nightmare if it doesn't!!!! My brother had horse on working livery turned up to give horse a carrot on neds day-off to find him on the end of a luge-line with ginormous beginner on board! brother had rang yard that morning to say he wouldn't ride that day as it was too hot and ned could have his day-off

rach1984horse

Visit site
Working livery can be a good option if you can get the right arrangement with the yard.

It might also be an idea to ask about things like insurance for your tack, incase anything gets lost or damaged.